my levels are all over the place

Status
Not open for further replies.

traceycat

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
im still very new to all this, only diganozed last week. this morning i tested myself an i was 15.4 then at lunch i had 2 chicken an salad sandwiches on wholemeal bread, tested again before tea time an i was down to 7.4, then for tea i had 4 baby potatoes each one no bigger than an egg maybe smaller, a portion of fish in batter cooked in oven and frozen peas boiled and after i had fresh furit chopped up an some yougart poured over it, i waited an hour an half an just tested myself again, im up to 15.9 😱 am i eating the wrong foods altogether? if i dont have potatoes what am i supposed to eat. the nurse told me to continue having potatoes for my dinner but now im not so sure. i just feel all this food stuff about what i can an cannot have very confuzing an furstrating. can anyone help. xxx

It is still early days Tracey, try not to be despondent! Ther is an awful lot ot learn and it will take quite some time before you get used to the things that do and don't cause you problems. The thing to watch out for is carbohydrate - in the bread, potatoes, fruit and even in the fish batter whic will contain flour.

Have a look at my review of a good book I read recently:

http://www.diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=7337

The book will explain very clearly the best kinds of stuff to eat and will give you a good idea of what adjustments you might need to make 🙂

Hi Tracey - as Northerner says its early days and it's quite hard work trying to find out what works for you, as it is different for everyone. I bought the Collins Carb Counter (about ?4 on Amazon) which I find helpful. I am having a problem with really low readings some mornings (as low as 1.7 - but I feel fine) which I can't fathom at the moment!

Hi Tracy, stick with it, it is only early days. Half an hour is very soon to be checking after eating, even non-diabetics will get a rise straight after eating. I would leave at least an hour.

Hi Tracey try not worry. I have higher readings after oven fish and a small amount of chips. I only eat F&C once a week though.
Sometimes if your levels drop too low overnight you will get a higher reading in the morning.
If you continue to test, you will find out what foods you can and can't eat.
I find that I am fine with 2 slices of wholemeal bread for lunch. I'm also okay with low carb pasta (Asda chlli penne) and also a few small new potatoes, I had 2 new potatoes with my meal tonight, with a portion of mixed veg and some bacon ribs 😛
I'm afraid it's all trial and error and testing with food. But it helps to have a good portion of protein with any carbs that you eat.

Hi traceycat,

I'm a non-insulin dependent Type 2 who was daignosed over nine years ago. I got worse for eight years - my HbA1c rose to 9.4% - but have reversed my situation completely over the last eighteen months - last HbA1c down to 5.1% and is still dropping.

I improved my situation almost entirely by changing my diet mainly to eat less starchy carbohydrate - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, pizza etc. You can read details of the sort of diet that is working for me elsewhere on this forum by clicking on the following link:

http://www.diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=6435

Good luck and best wishes - John

thanks everyone, that has reasured me. ive been feeling down since teatime and now i cant sleep because im hungary, was to scared to even have a cup of coffee. i feel better now after reading everyones advice and im defantly going to take it all onboard. northerner im gonna see about getting that book it sounds great. john thanks for sharing your plan its realy inspired me. ok im off to bed to try an get a good nites sleep an hopefully tomorrow will be a better day xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back