My leg is poorly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

falcon123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Ever since I fractured my femur my leg has been improving slowly. However in the last few months it has been getting worse. Basically it tires out before the rest of me so I have to wait for it to recover after a few hundred yards. If I push it harder it can cramp up. Because of this I had a Doppler done yesterday. I had one done prior to the operation because of the type of fracture and because of long term diabetes. Everything was fine then but yesterday they found my circulation was down about 40%. It was also down in the other leg but less so. Very scary as I have memories of people with serious leg problems when I attended clinics as a youngster in the late 60s/early 70?s. Has anybody on this forum experience of this? I cannot see the GP with knowledge of this for about 10 days.

I hope it is treatable and you are soon back to peak fitness. Hope you get all the answers when you see the GP, good luck.

Falcon
Having sat through a session of gorey photos about diabetic foot problems yesterday, due to work, you have my sympathy. Northerner broke his leg a couple of years ago, so might be able to give some information. But as everyone and almost every location is different, your GP will be able to help most, even if it means a few days wait. A poor blood supply now does not authomatically mean the same as it meant in 60s / 70s.

Michael, sorry to hear this, hope you get properly fixed up soon, and maybe we'll see you at a meet one day soon!?

Take care

Rossi

Falcon, sorry to here this. I broke my left leg (fibia) 15 years ago and have a plate and screws holding it together, I sometimes get a slight numbness/pins and needles in it but nothing else. Hope you manage to get some answers from your GP.

I had my follow up appointment and have been referred to a vascular surgeon. Whilst I wait for my appointment I have been started on the dreaded statins which I have resisted for nearly a decade. Apparently this is a default treatment in case there is "furring" of the artery. The target is colesterol below 4.0. That can be no more than a bacon sandwich away from 4.2! Fingers crossed it is not statins for life! Because i already have muscle tiredness and some pain as symtoms not sure how I will know if I am having side effects.

Hope they can sort it out for you without too much fuss Michael. I broke my leg long before diagnosis, as you know. I did experience quite a lot of discomfort in the first few months after diagnosis that was clearly related to the diabetes+injured leg as the other one was generally OK, but it's hard to pin down the reason why. Could have been any one or combination of the 11 pills I was put on, or just the fact that I was severely underweight for about a year. I got cramps and numbness, mainly in bed, but these have gradually disappeared. I do still get the occasional numbness in the leg, but transient and hard to attribute to any cause.

Hoping for the best possible outcome, and that you don't have to stick with the statins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back