My latest review results in detail

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianf0ster

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I just got my latest HbA1C and Lipid Profile (cholesterol) results today. The GP secretary thought they were good, but in fact they were a step backwards, but for valid reasons.
However I still qualify (under UK rules as being in T2D remission and the GP surgery isn't as concerned about me not being on statins.

HbA1C 45 (= 6.3%) prior was 37 (=5.7%). However for around 6 weeks before the blood draw I had an infection which was also giving me sleepless nights, so I expected and increase but just not quite so much.

Total Serum Cholesterol 6.6 Prior 7.7 Many would think this an improvement, but actually it's worse than prior when you look at the detail. However it's at least partly due to experimenting with increasing carbs a bit for 4 days before the blood draw. See Dave Feldman et al's investigation into Low Mass Hyper Responders, were Dr Tro reports that LDL can be lowered by them increasing carbs by 50 to 100gms (though those people were mainly Keto rather than very Low Carb).

HDL 1.57 prior 2.17 Very disappointing, but probably due to the experiment in increasing carbs
LDL 4.51 prior 5.02 So the experiment 'worked', but it means my ratio Trig/HDL and LDL/HDL and Total Cholesterol/HDL ratios are all worse!
Triglycerides 1.14 prior 1.13 Fortunately not really changed - whew!

Interesting to see the results of your experiments @ianf0ster

Are you planning to revert to your previous approach to see if things ‘switch back’? Or are you considering other experiments or a middle ground to see what effect that has?

The next one will be in a year's time. so plenty of time to change my mind, but at present I'm considering trying to find more middle ground. But who knows, there might be some very strong evidence that convinces me that I need to do something else. For example a result about actual coronary health risk from Dave Feldman's Low Mass Hyper Responder study, or if I were able to have a coronary calcium scan or an LDL Particle test, or an ApoB (particle or volume test.

The next one will be in a year's time. so plenty of time to change my mind, but at present I'm considering trying to find more middle ground. But who knows, there might be some very strong evidence that convinces me that I need to do something else. For example a result about actual coronary health risk from Dave Feldman's Low Mass Hyper Responder study, or if I were able to have a coronary calcium scan or an LDL Particle test, or an ApoB (particle or volume test.

I had a massive cardiac MOT mid-2021, as a result of taking part in some research into cardiac health in those living with T2. Unusually, this study includes a cohort of individuals whose T2 is in remission. My participation took most of a morning (it was very slick), then repeat in 5 years (I hope!!)

The study involved a bucket of bloods, echocardiongrams, ECGs, exercised ECGs and gas exchange studies, MRI, then (medically) stressed MRI, CT scan, Arterial artery scan and 2-hour BP monitoring. All of this supervised on a 1:1 basis by a cardiologist, with personal feedback from the same cardiologist.

I won't advertise the study on the boards, but if wanted to know more, just drop me a note.

For full disclosure, I repeated much of the study tests 2 weeks after the first, as part of the further sub-group, testing repeatability and consistency in interpreting subject outputs.

Edited to add the arterial calcium scan (in my case near zero) as that was a factor in your post @ianf0ster .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back