My lantus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I just went to change my lantus cartridge and had to open a new box. I checked the date on the box and I got it on 15th February - nearly 9 months ago! It doesn't expire until 2012, but it did make me realise how little of the stuff I use! 😱 The box I've just finished I got over 12 months ago!

hahaa Lucky you Northy ..... I have to have 3 packs of of Lantus ,,, I take 54 each night 😉
Hugs Mo x

hahaa Lucky you Northy ..... I have to have 3 packs of of Lantus ,,, I take 54 each night 😉
Hugs Mo x

Just goes to show how different we can be! I started on 20, got down as low as 3 and am currently on 6!

Hi

I'm on 120 Lantus (Glargine) and 9 - 16 - 20 of Lispro 🙂

Andy

Just goes to show how different we can be! I started on 20, got down as low as 3 and am currently on 6!

I've also been on 20 since diagnosis, got my first quaterly review on the 17th so maybe I'll get some dosage changes as well 🙂

Im on 68 units of levemir, split twice a day

Amazing how everyone seems to take differing levels of insulin, I take 38 units of lantus in the evening. I started counting carbs about 2 months ago, the difference to my control is...... not surprisingly.... amazing!! 🙂 I used to take 22 units of humalog before my evening meal, regardless of what I ate!! I took 41 units one evening last week and it worked out perfectly for me!!

Amazing how everyone seems to take differing levels of insulin, I take 38 units of lantus in the evening. I started counting carbs about 2 months ago, the difference to my control is...... not surprisingly.... amazing!! 🙂 I used to take 22 units of humalog before my evening meal, regardless of what I ate!! I took 41 units one evening last week and it worked out perfectly for me!!

Carb counting is the only way! I feel so lucky that I learned about it within three months of being diagnosed, some people are made to wait at least a year which strikes me as pointless and unnecessary.

Carb counting is the only way! I feel so lucky that I learned about it within three months of being diagnosed, some people are made to wait at least a year which strikes me as pointless and unnecessary.

It was close on 14 years before I started to carb count, before it was a random ummmm looks like a big meal, more units, smaller meal less units etc,etc, amazing that my HBA1C was never too bad!! Never ceases to amaze me how many type 1s don't adjust their insulin with food intake or exercise etc!!

I've also been on 20 since diagnosis, got my first quaterly review on the 17th so maybe I'll get some dosage changes as well 🙂

I started on 12, went up to 20, then 24, 22 and I'm back on 20 again 😱

I started on 12, went up to 20, then 24, 22 and I'm back on 20 again 😱

I found when I changed from Levemir to Lantus earlier in the year that I halved my consumption! Quite staggering for two drugs which most people will tell you do the same job, in similar ways!

As for carb counting, this is an oddity of what's in favour, although everything seems to have settled on carb counting, although DAFNE still seems to be very thin on the ground.

I wonder if the reason they use fixed doses for the first 'n' months is to build a stable platform, e.g. same breakfast, lunch, dinner etc so that you become aware to the fact you can have a hypo even when you eat and inject the same amount everyday of the week? It still baffles me, how I can eat and inject the same for breakfast each day, do the same things each morning, yet my mid-day readings can vary, sometime to extremes :confused:

Another observation is the difference in dosage of type 1's to type 2's I dread to think over a couple of days what 50 plus units a day would do to me 😱

And NO I am not trying, did the 20 units of Novo Rapid instead of Levemir a coupld of years ago - NOT fun scoffing all the bread in the house!

Today I had about 40 units of novo and will have had 60 units when I take my lantus - type 1!

Does it matter how much insulin one takes, I am a big guy (6' 4'' and 18 stone, words of my DSN/Consultant - athletic build!!) so I therefore eat a lot of food, probably twice as much as some people!! I will therefore obviously need to take a lot more insulin. On an 'average day' I will probably take 12 units at breakfast, 16 at lunch and 24 evening meal, total 52 units Humalog, and 38 units of Lantus before bed time. Total 90 units. It works for me, so doesn't bother me, other than somebody cringing in amazement when they hear how many units I take......am I unusual?

i take 32 units of lantus....then all my other doses of novorapid! when im monitoring properly, I'd hate to count up how many units i inject in a day 😱

Does it matter how much insulin one takes, I am a big guy (6' 4'' and 18 stone, words of my DSN/Consultant - athletic build!!) so I therefore eat a lot of food, probably twice as much as some people!! I will therefore obviously need to take a lot more insulin. On an 'average day' I will probably take 12 units at breakfast, 16 at lunch and 24 evening meal, total 52 units Humalog, and 38 units of Lantus before bed time. Total 90 units. It works for me, so doesn't bother me, other than somebody cringing in amazement when they hear how many units I take......am I unusual?

hey phil. I wouldn't worry...as you say, it works for you and that's all that matters. and as you can see from these other replies, what everyone takes varies immensely from one person to the next. it's just a case of whatever suits you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back