My lack of appetite...prescribed alcohol?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentAssassin1642

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
docs today, I asked him about this lack of appetit thing.

First thing he asked was if I was pregnant. Nu-uh no way.

Then he asked if I had been overly stressed lately and anxious over anything as that can switch off the whole appetite thing. Short answer to him was yep, stressed as anything what with the whole lack of job thing and other stuff.

He prescribed me a small alcoholic drink before the main meal of the day :confused: apparently it can help stimulate the apetite. And also said to try and go for a long walk everyday or take some form of excersise as it can get rid of the stress hormone or whatever it is.

Also, if it carries on I have to go back. I am starting to think I may have stress/anxiety/depression issues as it is but I didn't see my normal doctor so he didn't really know what was going on.

He also prescribed me a demi-pen 😎 which I am picking up tomorrow morning 😎

Now I have to concentrate on actually feeling hungry. I have no booze in the house though.

Seems strange having a doctor telling you to have an alcoholic drink every day lol. Maybe he's a bit old fashioned...

Last edited:
WOW - I've never heard that one before, prescribed Alcohol??? I hope I never lose my appetite 😛

I have never heard of that lol! saying that when i am out drinking it always makes me hungry for something gross from the kebab shop on the way home 🙄

Well i hope evryhting works out 🙂

WOW - I've never heard that one before, prescribed Alcohol??? I hope I never lose my appetite 😛

I gotta say on a night out when utterly tanked on booze i get ravenous for cheese on toast! I think its one of these old school remedies - the doc I saw was positively ancient!

Hope it doesnt induce hypos! Especially if you are drinking on a low apetite!

Blimey- he must have been OLD school!

That is what an aperitif is, for example serving a glass of sherry before a meal, or in other countries like Greece having an ouzo before dinner..

"Take yer medicine!"

I should have been a quack!

Hope it all sorts out Sam.

Once when I was a in-patient in my late teens I was given a bottle of Guinness each evening to build me up. Probably not PC these days.

That?s crazy.
Complete opposite to my dr then. When i last saw the doctor in march he asked me how much i drank.
I said about 4 glass this year so far, he said that i was beating him by miles and next time i see him he wants to be beating me by miles haha.
Its a good challenge for him because i have well lost count now 🙂
xx

The dr isn't advocating drinking say 4 glasses of wine or a pint of lager before you eat, a small glass of sherry or 1 small glass of wine.

A long time ago I was prescribed alcohol (a glass of wine a day) to help me relax.

When you go out for meals the apperitif is usually alcohol, it encourages the appetite so you eat more, so it makes some sense to have a small drink before dinner. In posh houses where money is no object they drink martinis!

Let us know how you get on. I hope it works, but once you start your new job, you may find a difference in your appetitie.

A long time ago I was prescribed alcohol (a glass of wine a day) to help me relax.

When you go out for meals the apperitif is usually alcohol, it encourages the appetite so you eat more, so it makes some sense to have a small drink before dinner. In posh houses where money is no object they drink martinis!

Let us know how you get on. I hope it works, but once you start your new job, you may find a difference in your appetitie.

i can't afford alcohol atm...but I wish i did have some. Funny how earlier when things were looking up I was feeling ravenous and then boom, more bad news appetite goes...

Do you like olives? I think they're meant to stimulate the appetite too, might be a cheaper alternative!

Do you like olives? I think they're meant to stimulate the appetite too, might be a cheaper alternative!

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww lol. Not a fan of them :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back