My Hbac1 48

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom11479

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
I just went for a blood test and my Hbac1 came back at 48 my doctor said I had to be at 51 to be put on meds he wants a blood test in 3 months time to see if I can get in down on lifestyle changes has anyone been in the same situation?
Thanks

I think you have an enlightened doctor who is giving you the opportunity to make some beneficial lifestyle changes before reaching for the prescription pad. It is perfectly possible with some dietary changes to reduce you blood glucose down to normal which would be below 42mmol/mol. Losing weight if you need to and increasing exercise if you can will all help.
Have a look at this link for some do's and don'ts and some menu ideas as well as a good explanation https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
I adopted the principals in the link and reduced my Hba1C from 50mmol/mol to 42 in 3 months and to 36 in another 6 months. The low carb approach is now my new normal way of eating.

If you were previously only at risk of diabetes 48 mmol/mol is a bit high, and you are obviously not doing too well at getting it under control. But still, with a sensible low carb diet and a bit more exercise getting things back to a around 42mmol/mol should be eminently doable. There are many members of this forum who would be ecstatic if they could get their hba1c down to 48mmol/mol. See here

Type 2 medications like Metformin only work in conjunction with diet and exercise, and are absolutely not a "get out of diet and exercise free card". So, no matter how unpleasant, am afraid you will just have to bite the bullet and and work on your life style choices.

Hi @Tom11479 present your body has an imbalance between the insulin that it is making and the amount of glucose in your blood stream. It is good that your GP has given you the chance to make changes before giving meds.

You can’t change the amount of insulin you are making but you can alter the glucose, which will come from any carbs you eat. These are not just in sugary things but also in potatoes, pasta, rice, pizza, … becoming more familiar with the carb content will help you to make decisions to reduce these, either by swapping to lower carb options or by reducing the portion size. An increase in the amount of exercise will also help if that is possible, as it will use up more of the glucose that is in the system, again helping to reduce your levels.

Read around The forum and ask any questions that arise. Nothing is considered silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back