My garden/ river birds.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A gang of us meet on Zoom for a 'coffee morning' on Fridays & Saturdays and this weekend, Kevin (live round Ipswich area) showed us a pic of the Fieldfare who's visiting them regularly lately.

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Well this was a surprise this morning. Never ever had a heron in the garden, to be fair we’ve only had a pond since summer 2019. He or she will have been most disappointed to find we don’t have any fish! We never had any intention of having fish but are hoping for frogs, toads and newts this year. Might need to think about a cover now!

Attachments

• 0237B20B-33E4-41E3-9083-F888814474CC.jpeg
    0237B20B-33E4-41E3-9083-F888814474CC.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 3
  • C2EB5D9A-F6B7-4EAA-8188-A21F2928ED2C.jpeg
    C2EB5D9A-F6B7-4EAA-8188-A21F2928ED2C.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 929CC944-3F7D-4352-A8BC-8544134E2AE0.jpeg
    929CC944-3F7D-4352-A8BC-8544134E2AE0.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 193BBC9E-557F-4FA5-936E-1E87BB2AC1F3.jpeg
    193BBC9E-557F-4FA5-936E-1E87BB2AC1F3.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 3

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Been on a long walk today and there was lots of cormorants on the river. Snapped a few and went on my merry way. When I got home I downloaded the photos onto my iPad and spotted this one. A photo bombing oystercatcher, who is more in focus than the cormorants! It made me laugh anyways.:)

Attachments

• 6B8F7BF1-E081-423A-9F17-F46993D1F470.jpeg
    6B8F7BF1-E081-423A-9F17-F46993D1F470.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 5

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Nothing new to report but lovely to
see Mr Reed Bunting has come back to us for the spring. Haven’t seen his missus yet, she’s rather shy. Also we are getting more and more long tailed tits, they usually just visit occasionally but they’re here most days now. Think they’re my favourite.

Attachments

• C7FA7AE5-55C0-4373-AD75-0D3A8EECE646.jpeg
    C7FA7AE5-55C0-4373-AD75-0D3A8EECE646.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 3290C744-E8BB-48B4-A6FD-31E3C75C8047.jpeg
    3290C744-E8BB-48B4-A6FD-31E3C75C8047.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 5

Ivostas66

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I read that leaving annuals in place until March rather than digging them up in the autumn can attract seed loving birds. At 6am I was woken by our daughter and when I brought her down for breakfast we counted 9 goldfinches on the Verbena. Later in the day there was a small flock of long tailed tits flitting around it too!

adrian1der

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well this was a surprise this morning. Never ever had a heron in the garden, to be fair we’ve only had a pond since summer 2019. He or she will have been most disappointed to find we don’t have any fish! We never had any intention of having fish but are hoping for frogs, toads and newts this year. Might need to think about a cover now!
A low wire run round the edge can also help and is less unsightly

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
We get mainly magpies and gulls. My son forgot to bring in his milk and eggs delivery and went out to find a magpie had opened the egg carton and eaten one egg and was busy with another. :)

Ivostas66

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The Goldfinches were back this morning and I remembered to pop the camera in the kitchen yesterday 'just in case!'IMG_4218.JPGIMG_4227.JPG

Robin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Not in my garden, but I was at the riding stables today, and it was gloriously warm and sunny, no cold wind cutting through us for a change, and I could hear the twittering of larks in the fields, or rather, ascending over them.

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Not my garden ( unfortunately) but one I passed behind yesterday, part of the Cumbrian Way. A rhea I think. It was very curious about us and came up to the fence to see us. It had the most gorgeous cartoon like long eyelashes. Anyone know why someone would keep this as a pet?

Attachments

• 92B3BE67-2714-4993-B4BC-7A25D733C9BD.jpeg
    92B3BE67-2714-4993-B4BC-7A25D733C9BD.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 9
  • C7880DC5-8D09-4043-9B61-E6E93E3F0FA2.jpeg
    C7880DC5-8D09-4043-9B61-E6E93E3F0FA2.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 10

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Goodness - that was a surprise! Yes, like Ostriches they do have massively long eyelashes. Wonder what facilities a home would need to have, for such an animal? Lots of questions like where the heck would you get one from and as @eggyg said, Why? For all we know the people work for a zoo or something - anyway I sincerely hope it's all legit and above board. A zoo couldn't have a quarantine area with a public right of way that close - though we did get to see a baby giraffe some 40-odd years ago quite legitimately at the back of the W Mids safari park. They soon moved him and his mum when they realised the mummies and daddies were lifting their own kiddies up to see over the substantial wooden 5 bar gate just like we did with my 2 yo nephew they were in the field next to the field the gate was the entrance of, and clearly marked Private property, No Trespassing. I was 23 but had I been 13, dunno whether I might have been very tempted to risk a quick trespass .....

Anyway the rhea - only time I've ever seen one for real, was in Australia Zoo in Brissie.

Spozkins

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Oooh loving all these pics. It's a lot harder to take those pics than people get credit for I think.

I saw my first tree creeper last week and you'd have think I won the lottery. Unfortunately it was out creeping my camera skills.

@eeyg hard to say. If it hadn't been so friendly I'd say it could be to deter visitors as they can be fairly intimidating and super fast. If not I'd guess it's been hand reared or part of a zoo program. Or cheaper eggs?!

Spozkins

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Anyway the rhea - only time I've ever seen one for real, was in Australia Zoo in Brissie.

Maybe for the best haha. They are escape artists and I know they caused a bit of nusciance in rural parts of England. Who wouldn't wanna meet an aggressively fast rhea on the loose?

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
@Spozkins I saw my first tree creeper for years just a couple of months ago. I was so excited and rather surprised to actually get a half decent photo. Saw more recently but just too fast this time.
As for the rhea, I googled it and they live for up to 40 years and can indeed be quite viscous. This one definitely wasn’t. I need to find out why it was in a village garden. I know a few folks who live there I’ll be on to them. Watch this space.

Spozkins

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@Spozkins I saw my first tree creeper for years just a couple of months ago. I was so excited and rather surprised to actually get a half decent photo. Saw more recently but just too fast this time.
As for the rhea, I googled it and they live for up to 40 years and can indeed be quite viscous. This one definitely wasn’t. I need to find out why it was in a village garden. I know a few folks who live there I’ll be on to them. Watch this space.
I'd be interested too. I studied
animals so spent quite a bit of time working on a zoo with them. They can be tame like any normally scary bird (I remember seeing one of the keepers hugging an emu when nobody was watching).

What kind of lens do you have by the way?

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
animals so spent quite a bit of time working on a zoo with them. They can be tame like any normally scary bird (I remember seeing one of the keepers hugging an emu when nobody was watching).

What kind of lens do you have by the way?
I have a Panasonic LUMIX compact camera. TZ 90. Only got it last year for a “ big” birthday. Never had a proper camera before. Can’t have anything bigger as I have rubbish shoulders! I’m an auto point and click sort of photographer much to my hubby’s disgust. Photography is his life, he has a fancy pants brand new Nikon of some sort, ( mega bucks) not usually wildlife though he leaves that to me!
Hopefully I’ll have news about the rhea soon.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Trying to picture a viscous rhea. I see a puddle resembling mercurysliding slowly across the floor toward me and when I look down into the surface of the puddle a pair of piercing black eyes and OMG! is that a beak??