My garden/ river birds.

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
As some as you know I’m bird mad and since I got a proper camera for my birthday last month I’ve been honing my skills and got some fairly decent photos. ( I think) Here’s a few for your perusal, most are from my garden with a few I’ve taken on our daily walks down our local river. Hope you like them.
Longtailed tit.
Reed bunting ( male)
Dipper
Goldfinch
Great tit
Blue tit
Robin
Greater spotted woodpecker ( male)
Greenfinch ( male)
Young dunnock

Attachments

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Fabulous photos. :) I never seem to 'see' birds, but I did see a green one the other day. I don't encourage them because of our hunter cat. I was very surprised when two made a nest in the silver birch. How come the one on the log in the river didn't fly away, did he not see you?

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Fabulous photos. :) I never seem to 'see' birds, but I did see a green one the other day. I don't encourage them because of our hunter cat. I was very surprised when two made a nest in the silver birch. How come the one on the log in the river didn't fly away, did he not see you?
Dippers are very fast but he was busy “ fishing” I think. Plus he wasn’t as near as you think, my camera has a brilliant zoom. We get cats in our garden but the sparrow hawk is a bigger predator.

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Saw this beauty on my walk today. Also saw it snuffle a moorhen chick but that’s nature!View attachment 14319
On our walk two herons flew right over our heads. Didn’t see where they landed. Only managed one photo of a heron so far but it was too far away. I’ll get one very soon I hope.

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thajns for the lovely photos @eggyg. Dippers are so sweet and well named.

We woke about two weeks ago to find a heron in our pond. It had obviously enjoyed its easy breakfast as we were missing some fish, but still have a good few. Some wires have ensured that they no longer have a way to walk into the pond and have not had a return visit.

It was lovely to see Springwatch back today.

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
View attachment 14320

All this guff about tweety birds. Round here we have got proper birds. Anyone want to argue?
Rooks frighten the life out of me. A one landed on the feeder right outside my patio doors and stared right at me! I don’t mind the smaller corvid, jackdaws are very intelligent birds. Garden is full of them.

Robin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Rooks frighten the life out of me. A one landed on the feeder right outside my patio doors and stared right at me! I don’t mind the smaller corvid, jackdaws are very intelligent birds. Garden is full of them.
A couple of rooks have found our feeder. And found out how to liberate food from it. They swing on it to spill the sunflower hearts on the ground, then go down to hoover them up. Luckily they haven’t managed to get anything out of the mesh metal feeder, so some small birds can still get a feed, but they can empty the other one out overnight.

mikeyB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Rooks are a protected species in our more enlightened times, I’m afraid Docb. Though you might be able to convince the police that you are starving because of lockdown, in this era of picking and choosing which laws you obey:D

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Rooks are a protected species in our more enlightened times, I’m afraid Docb. Though you might be able to convince the police that you are starving because of lockdown, in this era of picking and choosing which laws you obey:D
I didn’t know that Mike. The farmers round here are obviously Dominic Cummings fans, as on our walks there’s a few dead ones hanging on fences. I’ve never understood that, not quite sure corvids are that clever they see them and think they’d better stop picking lambs eyes out! :eek:

Jodee

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just wonderful :) thanks eggyg :)

I have been observing Mr Blackbird with his delicacy of young slugs, he is rolling them back and forth, I am thinking is he doing that to get the soil off or to stun the slug or make dizzy so it doesn't produce slime before swallowing it. :)

from previous years Blackbird1 (550x459).jpg

Jodee

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
All this guff about tweety birds. Round here we have got proper birds. Anyone want to argue?
Sharing the neighbourhood with Rooks, Crows, Jackdaws and all other birds. The crows are the ones that talk the most here, they were having a great conversation with the jackdaws on the roof they other day having a real go anyone would think they were talking politics :D

The rooks are scared of me :D unlike the crows - highly intelligent :D ;)

Robin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I didn’t know that Mike. The farmers round here are obviously Dominic Cummings fans, as on our walks there’s a few dead ones hanging on fences. I’ve never understood that, not quite sure corvids are that clever they see them and think they’d better stop picking lambs eyes out! :eek:
Rooks or crows? Crows are more likely to be the culprits pecking lambs eyes. Farmers sometimes don’t like rooks, though, because although they eat harmful grubs that attack the roots of plants (like leatherjackets, otherwise known as daddy long legs larvae) they trample all over newly sprouted seedlings with their big feet in the process.

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Rooks or crows? Crows are more likely to be the culprits pecking lambs eyes. Farmers sometimes don’t like rooks, though, because although they eat harmful grubs that attack the roots of plants (like leatherjackets, otherwise known as daddy long legs larvae) they trample all over newly sprouted seedlings with their big feet in the process.
Definitely rooks with the white “nose”. Although they scare me I don’t like the thought of them being shot.

mikeyB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It’s easier in the highlands of Scotland, all the crows are hooded crows, same species but predominantly grey with black heads. Rooks and Ravens are seriously black. Ravens are big birds. The only other corvid that could be confused is in coastal areas in Cornwall, Wales and south west Scotland where you will find choughs, but they are easy to spot with a longer red beak and distinctive red legs.

As I said above, they are all protected. You need a licence to shoot corvids, and you can only get that if you can demonstrate real risk or damage, which is actually minimal in the great scheme of things.

On the Isle of Mull, the problem wasn’t crows pecking out lamb’s eyes, it was the Sea Eagles flying off with the whole lamb. The farmers didn’t mind, they were compensated with more money than the lamb would ever be worth. That’s also why you don’t see anyone on Mull with a small dog that gets the run of the garden. They don’t compensated, mind, anybody with a small dog is an incomer and serve ‘em right.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Lovely pics!

We used to have a good few house sparrows around our way, along with blue tits, great tits, long tailed, goldfinches, robins, blackbirds, jays, and even occasionally when the weather went cold, a sparrowhawk or flock of field fares and redwings. But over the past 5 years or more the cat population on our street has risen exponentially (from 2-3 on the whole street to multiple houses with multiple cats and one with 6 in it), plus I suspect the house that used to be home to the sparrows must have had its roof fixed.

I still put seed out, but we are lucky to get 1-2 birds in the garden a week now, rather than dozens each day. I really miss them :(

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
it was the Sea Eagles flying off with the whole lamb. The farmers didn’t mind, they were compensated with more money than the lamb would ever be worth. That’s also why you don’t see anyone on Mull with a small dog that gets the run of the garden.
:eek::eek::eek: