My foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyndasw

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Last night my left foot felt a bit uncomfortable when I got in from work and I was shocked to see it was really swollen :( i kept it up most of the evening but it didn't make much difference. This morning it was a lot better but its swollen again tonight. I haven't knocked it or anything :confused: any ideas please?

oops thought i had started a new thread - can it be moved pls Mods 🙂

Last edited:
I hope your foot is better. I have given it its own thread so more people see it.

If it's no better in the morning Lynda, definitely book an appointment with your doctor, or ideally podiatrist if you see one. It may be something that is being aggravated by the day's activities, and possibly the heat, but you need to know what is going on and try and catch it as early as possible. Are there any signs at all of any knocks, cuts or abrasions?

Hope it is much better soon! 🙂

It could be a touch of fluid retention which tends to be worse in hot weather. Have a word with your GP and see what they can advise.

I'm not sure whether it is a diabetes thing, but I had something similar shortly before being diagnosed. It was definitely fluid retention though, because it went down again over night.

It flared up again once or twice over the following days, but is fine now (although I did notice a slight swelling a month ago, but not to the same extent).

As others have said, see the GP if it continues to worry you.

Andy 🙂

I think it sounds like fluid retention.

I had it quiet badly in both feet and ankles after I had been laid up in bed for 3 weeks with a severe flare up of colitis. The doctor told me to keep my feet raised and I had to sleep with a pillow under my feet to prop them up to help the fluid drain away from my feet.

When I walked it felt like wearing a pair of wellies filled with water!

Thanks everyone. I have a couple of days off work and the weather is going to be cooler so I will see if I rest it up a bit if the swelling goes down. I think it looks a little better today.

Thanks everyone. I have a couple of days off work and the weather is going to be cooler so I will see if I rest it up a bit if the swelling goes down. I think it looks a little better today.

Rest and relax on your days off, hope it gets better soon x

For swelling, suggested treatment is RICE Rest Ice Compression Elevation. Additionally, if the cause is muscular / skeletal injury, non steroidal anti inflammatory medinces eg ibuprofen / Brufen / Nurofen can help, but check with pharmacist, as they're not suitable for everyone eg not for people with stomach ulcers or asthma. For compression, a tubular bandage eg Tubigrip is ideal, but it must be the right size and fitted correctly - doubled over with fold at far end of limb. With diabetes, there's always a concern that you did knock it, but didn't feel it due to nerve damage, so always worth getting swelling check out and sensation tested with a bendy nylon thread by GP etc.
Agreeing with others, fluid retention due to heat is the most likely explanation, but please get a diagnosis from someone who can see your foot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back