My first split injection!

Status
Not open for further replies.

D_G

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Last night my friend invited me over for a nacho/cheese/salsa night with some films! I was dreading the nachos and cheese as i knew i would have to do 2 injections otherwise i would probably spike later due to the cheese.....so i decided to do my first split novarapid injection and here are the results!

Pre-meal: 6.0 (took half novarapid)
2 hours : 8.0 (took other half)
2 hours : 10.1
2 hours : 8.2

and woke up on: 5.0 (had i eaten all the nachos it probably would have been 6.0 which is what i started with!

So did i get it spot on? :D i am pleases with those results!

I think it worked it out well to be honest........

However I am quite sure that cheese contains no carbohydrate, I would never inject for it.

I think those results reflect the two peaks of the novorapid..........I could be wrong.

I need to start thinking about this too, I can be on target at meals, but between meals is a different story....

I agree, cheese would slow it down............but I dont believe would be responsible for a spike

Tryin to work out how much to split it and when would be hard though unless you knew exaclty when the glucose was released, how fast etc.....

it seemed to work out well.........

I agree, cheese would slow it down............but I dont believe would be responsible for a spike

Tryin to work out how much to split it and when would be hard though unless you knew exaclty when the glucose was released, how fast etc.....

it seemed to work out well.........

I just injected for the nachos, the cheese would have slowed down the initial spike of the carbs...maybe i didnt word it the best lol, thanks anyway 🙂

Yea i was pretty happy with those results Northe!

since being diagnosed i have been avoiding pizza, pasta and cheesy things like the plague lol but now i know if i can calculate correctly i can have these things once in a while :D

For me being a DAFNE graduate means that I can eat anything, and in whatever quantities I want (the freedom of type 1).......

But I still struggle to deal with the between meal readings......theoretically if im on target at all meal times the resulting HbA1c should be fine, but its annoying......I want to be below 8 at all times..........grrrrrrr.....wishful thinking eh!!!

Hi not that i know much about SI but well done DG looks very impressive .

Awesome Nikki 🙂 looks like you caught the spike!

NRboi, you're right the cheese itself wouldn't cause a spike - but it would slow down the absorption of the carbs from the nachos, meaning the nachos would cause a spike in BG readings later. Lots of people chose to split their NR dose to help get on top of a spike like that.

For me being a DAFNE graduate means that I can eat anything, and in whatever quantities I want (the freedom of type 1).......

But I still struggle to deal with the between meal readings......theoretically if im on target at all meal times the resulting HbA1c should be fine, but its annoying......I want to be below 8 at all times..........grrrrrrr.....wishful thinking eh!!!

Hi novo,
The general rule of thumb is that if your above target range at 2 hours post meal - then it means your ratios could be out. If your above range at 4 hours post-meal - it means your basal is probably out (unless of course you have just eaten a fatty meal). How often do you basal test? Any reading that is above range will factor in your hba1c - no matter whether its 2 hours after you have eaten or 4 hours after you have eaten - this will all show in your hba1c.🙂Bev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back