My First “diaversary” - one year on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawprint91

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
So I was diagnosed a year ago today- I have officially completed one full rotation of the sun as a diagnosed diabetic :rofl:

But the purpose of this thread is really for me to say a massive thank you to everyone on this forum who has the time to reply to me and help me this year - particularly the summer time last year when I was newly diagnosed and feeling a bit lost.

When I was first diagnosed, I did feel like my life as I knew it was over. But this year, I’ve learned that’s not true - yes, there is a bit more to think about, sure - but my diabetes has not stopped me doing anything, and nor should it. I eat carbs, drink alcohol and am planning an overseas holiday next month. This first year has been a learning curve I’m sure will never stop, but thanks to all you lovely people, I feel it’s completely manageable.

So to anybody newly diagnosed reading this - it’s scary at the time and may not always be plain sailing - but one year in I can promise you: it does get better!

Happy Diaversary @pawprint91
I am so glad that you have learned that your life is not over - this is a huge lesson.
I was lucky when I was first diagnosed, my DSN (who I still have, 20 year later) told me "diabetes should not stop you doing what you want." It is this message and this mindset that has kept me strong when D is not behaving. I will not let it take over my life and I am so happy that you have learned the same.
Here's to another year .. and another decade ... and beyond ... living your life.

So I was diagnosed a year ago today- I have officially completed one full rotation of the sun as a diagnosed diabetic :rofl:

But the purpose of this thread is really for me to say a massive thank you to everyone on this forum who has the time to reply to me and help me this year - particularly the summer time last year when I was newly diagnosed and feeling a bit lost.

When I was first diagnosed, I did feel like my life as I knew it was over. But this year, I’ve learned that’s not true - yes, there is a bit more to think about, sure - but my diabetes has not stopped me doing anything, and nor should it. I eat carbs, drink alcohol and am planning an overseas holiday next month. This first year has been a learning curve I’m sure will never stop, but thanks to all you lovely people, I feel it’s completely manageable.

So to anybody newly diagnosed reading this - it’s scary at the time and may not always be plain sailing - but one year in I can promise you: it does get better!
Lovely to read this @pawprint91 and a great inspiration for others newly diagnosed.

Congratulations and thanks for posting it to give others hope, as we all know how overwhelming it is at first.

Sounds like you are really taking it all in your stride now, so well done!

Thank you all - as I say, without you guys on here, there is no way I could have got to grips it as I have - the information and knowledge you all have is invaluable!

Happy Diaversary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back