My eyesight has suddenly gone blurry

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarinaDE

I just started insulin on Thursday and getting the dose right has been a challenge. My blood sugar soared to dangerous heights last night, but it came down again. Mostly it bounces in the orange zone. This morning I was out and about and suddenly realised my eyesight was blurry.

Is this a permanent loss of sight? I am freaking.

Don't worry...changing blood sugars affect your eyesight, it will get better as your sugars stablise.

The way I understand it is that our lens is shaped to focus through our tears. When we have high blood sugars, our body tries to get rid of the excess sugars in every way possbile - we wee it out, it comes out in our saliva (some dentists diagnose diabetes through teeth decay) and we cry it out.
Sugary tears have a different focal length to salty tears so our lens in or eyes need to readjust to deal with the less sugary tears as our levels return to “normal”.
During this period of adjustment, our eyesight can become blurred.
Some of us found ready readers useful to help focus during this time. It is not advised to get new glasses as the change should be temporary.

Sorry to hear your eyes have gone a bit blurry @MarinaDE

Understandable that it worried you, but it should only be temporary. Elevated glucose (or fairly rapid changes from high levels to more ‘in range’) can change the shape of the eye because of changes in osmotic pressure. When these happen really gradually the brain is able to adjust, but more sudden changes in eyeball shape lead to blurred vision.

Folks who are newly diagnosed are advised not to get new prescription glasses until things have settled for a while.

Another one wanting to reassure you that the blurriness is likely the result of the insulin starting to lower your glucose levels and therefore change the shape of your eye lens and is a very common temporary issue which may last as long as 2-3 months before it gets back to normal. Many of us invested in a pair of cheap ready reader specs from one of the "pound shops" to enable us to read books, screens and most importantly food labels, until it settled down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back