My experience getting a pump after 27 years MDI

Status
Not open for further replies.

100cas

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello, I’m new to posting on the forum and wanted to share my experience of getting a pump.

TLDR: after 26 years as a T1 I got a pump without too much hassle.

I mentioned wanting a pump to a nurse at my gp surgery (not my diabetic nurse) while having some bloods taken. I was complaining that I didn’t “meet the criteria” and she told me all we can do is ask and referred me to a consultant.

I met with the consultant 2 months later (Nov 22) and answered his questions, explained why I felt being on a pump would benefit me - many of these were about quality of life, my control was deemed very good but I didn’t feel 10+ injections per day was sustainable.

On January 20th 2023 I received a call to say that the multidisciplinary team approved me for a pump and I was sent a list of pumps to choose from (I was specifically told they could not sway me on the choice and I had to do my own research). After making my choice (Omnipod dash) the hospital applied for funding (1st Feb 2023), funding was approved (20th Feb 2023), my pump and supplies were sent to me (25th Feb 2023) and training/ starting on the pump is booked for 13th March 2023.

I just wanted to share this (very long post) to help others who may be think of asking for a pump, or in the process of doing so as I read so many informative posts on here, and other forums that really helped me.

Welcome to the forum!

Hope the pump training goes well - 10+ injections? That’s a lot

Welcome to the forum!

I was injecting a similar number of times per day before I got my pump. I suspect I would be worse now because I see more from a CGM than the 10+ finger prick tests I used to do.
I am also a grazer so have to dose for food often.

Not an enormous number, though. 2 for basal, 3 for meals, one for DP, one or three for snacks/corrections outside those. I don't think I inject 10 times a day most days but I'm sure I do occasionally.

Not an enormous number, though. 2 for basal, 3 for meals, one for DP, one or three for snacks/corrections outside those. I don't think I inject 10 times a day most days but I'm sure I do occasionally.
That doesn’t sound like much when you remember how much everything adds up

Hello, I’m new to posting on the forum and wanted to share my experience of getting a pump.

I mentioned wanting a pump to a nurse at my gp surgery (not my diabetic nurse) while having some bloods taken. I was complaining that I didn’t “meet the criteria” and she told me all we can do is ask and referred me to a consultant.

I met with the consultant 2 months later (Nov 22) and answered his questions, explained why I felt being on a pump would benefit me - many of these were about quality of life, my control was deemed very good but I didn’t feel 10+ injections per day was sustainable.

On January 20th 2023 I received a call to say that the multidisciplinary team approved me for a pump and I was sent a list of pumps to choose from (I was specifically told they could not sway me on the choice and I had to do my own research). After making my choice (Omnipod dash) the hospital applied for funding (1st Feb 2023), funding was approved (20th Feb 2023), my pump and supplies were sent to me (25th Feb 2023) and training/ starting on the pump is booked for 13th March 2023.

I just wanted to share this (very long post) to help others who may be think of asking for a pump, or in the process of doing so as I read so many informative posts on here, and other forums that really helped me.
I also get my Omnipod on Monday. I had a slightly longer wait for the okay from August , and a number of cancelled appointments. How are you feeling?

I have been MDI over 17 years now so not as long. I am very excited. Please keep us updated on your progress.

And personally even on my basal twice a day I didn't really get over injections a day and I found that too much. My main reason is we cannot find a basal that we can change quick enough with my changes in my menstrual cycle, and we can see the pattern with Libre, that I have been talking about for years, but with a new diabetes team and trying a number of different things we cannot fix, so hopefully this helps.

Carbon copy of own experience with same reasons for wanting to switch from injections, look forward to further posts once you get started on pump.

I look forward to hearing how you both get on on Monday @PhoebeC and @100cas

It takes a bit of hard work at the start to get the basal profile to suit your needs but well worth it, especially once you get into temporary changes to basal insulin. So much more flexible.
Let us know how you get on.

That sound amazing, I keep getting the NO from my diabetic clinic every time I asked to be considered for insulin pump. The last reasons were: 'you don't have that many hypos!' ??!! I argued 'thats what the insulin pump is for, the maintaining BG NOT the hypos!' We had a row about that and I felt dejected until read your post.
I've been T1 for 45 years (am now 55 years old)

How did it go yesterday?

It all seemed too make sense, we have set my basal as flat line for now, and I already know that needs adjsuting.

I am running very low at the moment, but have avoided 2 hypos with the suspension. It's going to be such as learning curve, but I am excited still.

How did it go yesterday?

It all seemed too make sense, we have set my basal as flat line for now, and I already know that needs adjsuting.

I am running very low at the moment, but have avoided 2 hypos with the suspension. It's going to be such as learning curve, but I am excited still.
@PhoebeC It went well, I had done so much research so there were no surprises but it was still great to actually get going.

I am exactly the same as you, have been running low since getting going with the flat basal. I went ahead and reduced my basal this afternoon (no idea if I’m meant to wait until my next appointment before I change things but it was clear the basal rate was too high).

Amazing that you’re enjoying it 🙂 I’m enjoying it too so far, very excited to get to grips with it all, I’m going to do some basal testing this week (starting tomorrow) before my 1 week check in appointment on Monday.

That sound amazing, I keep getting the NO from my diabetic clinic every time I asked to be considered for insulin pump. The last reasons were: 'you don't have that many hypos!' ??!! I argued 'thats what the insulin pump is for, the maintaining BG NOT the hypos!' We had a row about that and I felt dejected until read your post.
I've been T1 for 45 years (am now 55 years old)
@artyfartyjacky im so sorry that that has been your experience. As my referral came from the nurse at my gp surgery it actually bipassed my previous diabetes team, when I had an appointment with my previous consultant he saw in the system that I had a pump referral appointment and he said to me “you won’t get a pump but can try if you want”, I’m so glad I did. I hope you keep trying and get somewhere

I look forward to hearing how you both get on on Monday @PhoebeC and @100cas

It takes a bit of hard work at the start to get the basal profile to suit your needs but well worth it, especially once you get into temporary changes to basal insulin. So much more flexible.
Let us know how you get on.
Thank you @SB2015 yes it is a steep learning curve but I’m definitely going to put in the ground work. I’m so excited for temporary basal rates and also extended boluses! So much experimenting to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back