My Doctor refused to give me glucotabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachelha

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I asked my doctor to prescribe me glucotabs, and gave them the pip code as provided by Rossie, and this was the response

"sorry but gluctabs are not available on an NHS prescription. Your glucagon is for a hypo, and glucotabs can be bought over the counter".

Glucagon is for a hypo - does she honestly think everytime I go low I am going to give myself a jab in the leg. What a load of rubbish!!

Has anyone actually successfully got glucotabs off their doctor?

Rx

Not yet but I'm trying to build up my courage!!

PS don't give up bring it up next time, maybe if you bring it up again they'll say yes!

The other forum I am on has about 300 members - all parents of type 1 children. I would guess that half of them get glucotabs on prescription and there is a PIP code for them. This means that they are on the list that a GP is allowed to prescribe. I will ask what the PIP code is and let you know. Your GP is thick if she thinks glucagon is for a hypo, and the fact that one injection costs about ?60 compared to a pot of glucotabs is approx 79pence - then there is no comparison.
I personally dont get them on prescription as I dont mind paying for them and we normally use coke anyway - but it is your right to get them so you should.🙂It is the same as getting foods for coeliacs on prescription - it is life-saving and as necessary as insulin.🙂Bev

Bev - I actually gave them the PIP code on the note I handed in asking for them with my repeat form. I normally try and see a different doctor from the one that said this, so next time I go in to see him, I will try again.

I wonder if it is different in Scotland to England etc.?

To be fair, in the whole fourteen years I've had diabetes we've never had the glucose tablets on prescription. My parents and I just buy loads of them...

Tom - I currently buy them in bulk from the medical shop. I get 5 of the big tubs at once so I dont get charged postage on them. I have them dotted around all over the place, work, car, next to my bed for night time hypos, a tube in about every bag I own ......

To be fair, in the whole fourteen years I've had diabetes we've never had the glucose tablets on prescription. My parents and I just buy loads of them...

Tom, same here. But it should be remembered that for some people this is the only way of making sure they have a ready supply. I do know of families who are on benefits and to have to pay out for 3 pots a week would make a fairly significant dent in their finances.🙂Bev

Hey rachel, im in fife and my doc dont let me have em either, its glucagon and hypo stop gel (yuck) I woulda thought he could make an exception with you being pregnant though. I could of bought shares in lucozade when I was! But never thought to ask for them then, they did let me have 300 test strips every 2 weeks lol (I was obsessed) 🙄 xx

Hi ..

Glucotablets are available on prescription ... I get them for Nathan ... after kicking up a bit of a fuss ... My Dr came up with the line about glucogen injection etc .. I pointed out that if Nathan required such intervenetion via injection .. He would not be able to do so himself .. nor is it treatment for a mild hypo etc .. Hypostops ... apart from being ... Nathans words "Well nasty, and rank" .. again if Nathan were struggling with co-ordination would'nt be able to get top off ..

Eventually he did prescribe reluctantly .... Having said that .. its not a point of being able to afford them .. I have bought them many times .. and Asda sell them for just under ?3 .. for tub of 50 .. Its a matter of principal .. they are a medication for treatment of hypos .. not sweets .

Heidi
xx🙂

I also tryed for glucotabs but no joy, i do get glucogel which taste minging though 😱

Right I'm gonna go in fighting!

I put a note in begining of March about a half unit novopen, what did my wifey pick up yesterday? A script for one box of novorapid insulin cartridges?!

I'm gonna make an appointment and kick off! (I hope!)

On the list
half unit pen
glucotabs

I have very recently started getting mine on prescription. My doc gave me two x50 bottles. I haven't used them all yet so remains to be seen if I get them on repeat. I don't expect there to be a problem. I have had diabetes almost all my life and have always bought them before and didn't think I would get them but my doc said they are needed to manage my condition and she was more than happy to prescribe. I know I'm very lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back