My diagnosis day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Tomorrow 26th May will be the second anniversary of my diabetes diagnosis. In 2008 it was bank holiday Monday. I weighed 8st 4 lbs and was in hospital for 8 days. I was supposed to be running a marathon in Stockholm that Saturday. I left the hospital with 11 drugs to take, plus insulin.

Now, two years on, I weigh 11st 12 lbs and am on two drugs, plus insulin. I've been lucky with my control overall, with A1Cs in the 5.x range. My eating habits have changed, I now eat three meals a day and eat virtually no high sugar foods - I realised today that the hobnob biscuit I was eating just tasted too sweet for me and I wasn't really enjoying it! Although I do fancy a battenburg cake tomorrow! 😱 😉

e-needpics.gif

OF THE CAKE
soz northe but this is the excuse to post up the batenburg cake ...was yum occasionally.... but i find everything tastes sweet today ! happy dx day for tomoorow x
do you think im getting out of control with the emoticons ???

Awww sounds really good Northe. I am not sure what to say its not exactly congratulations is it but i admire that in 2 years you have done what you have done and do what you do with the added diabetes factor. You are a role model to be sure on here...another poster i can look up to 🙂

Mmmmm Battenberg 😉

I'm loving the emoticons AM - more more 🙂

It's weird that even though we have bad experiences are brains choose to remind us of them. Hope that tomorrow is a good day.

Thanks guys. I think it was like what one of the new people said here earlier, I was a relatively fit and active perosn with generally a good diet and suddenly I was being told I was a physical wreck - I endless ultrasound, ECG, echocardiograms, blood tests, an angiogram etc. They thought I'd had a heart attack plus I had a heart murmur.

It's probably helped me in a lot of ways to eat more healthily and take better care of myself generally, but I'm not convinced that's a good trade...🙄

Funny you should say sugary foods are too sweet, I was diagnosed in 2006 and find some foods too sweet. Celebrations or commiserations (delete which ever does not apply)

Mmm Battenburg cake yum yum. Celebrations or comiserations (delete as appropriate). You are an inspiration to us all xx

I realised today that the hobnob biscuit I was eating just tasted too sweet for me
I know what you mean about that, yesterday I 'forced' myself to eat 1 finger of a mini kitkat before going for a swim. I had to have something as I was only just above hypo, but I really didn't want or enjoy it.

Happy diagnosis day, 🙄
Enjoy the battenburg, though I'd rather have a little something from one of the pattiseries in town. They are much less sweet.

Mmm Battenburg cake yum yum. Celebrations or comiserations (delete as appropriate). You are an inspiration to us all xx

Shes right you are an inspiration.

Congratulations.
😉

OK, they didn't have a battenburg at the local shop, so I decided to plump for this bad boy instead. I can't believe how long I dithered over what treat to get myself - I was checking all the packets just to make sure it wasn't REALLY bad for me!

Weighing in at 200g carbs and 90g fat...and lots of insulin on standby! :D I swear it's smiling at me!! 😱

DSCF0178.jpg

now that does look tempting, happy diagnosis' day, just don't take all that insulin !!🙂

I'm sure I would have required about five reservoirs to deal with that amount of insulin abuse!

Well, the cake was delicious and definitely the richest, gooiest, most choclatey thing I have eaten in the past year. Guessed a bit on the insulin dose, so will have to do a few tests to see what happens.

(I didn't eat the whole thing, by the way! 😱 😉)

Well, the cake was delicious and definitely the richest, gooiest, most choclatey thing I have eaten in the past year. Guessed a bit on the insulin dose, so will have to do a few tests to see what happens.

(I didn't eat the whole thing, by the way! 😱 😉)

You didnt eat the whole thing? How much is left and where do you live??😱

Hope the anniversary is ok Northe x

Drooooolllllllll That's so mean you know I'm on a diet 😉 enjoy your cake it looks so nice :D xx

Hey Northerner, it sounds like you're finding the positives of your diagnosis, so I hope it's been an ok day - it's always a bit weird to think about how things have changed, isn't it?

The cake looks fab, hope you enjoyed it!

Hey Northerner, it sounds like you're finding the positives of your diagnosis, so I hope it's been an ok day - it's always a bit weird to think about how things have changed, isn't it?

The cake looks fab, hope you enjoyed it!

Thanks Pigeon, I just tested and I'm at 13.1 three hours after eating - looks like I didn't get the insulin right! 😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back