My Diabetes Diary

curlyk

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hello everyone,
I’m new to diabetes having been diagnosed just over a week ago. My HBA1c was very high at 87, with no other symptoms.
My doctors seem very supportive and have started me on glicizade last week (2 tablets) and metformin (in addition) today - I’m on a fast release, but only taking one tablet to build up slowly.
My BMs today have been 7.9 (fasted), 5.5, 6.2, 6.2 after meals and 5.3 before getting in to bed…I’m now terrified of having a hypo during the night!! I’m not even convinced I know what these numbers mean! I keep looking at tables of blood sugar and I fear I’m going down a Google habit hole!
Please tell me these feelings eventually disperse as I get to know my blood sugars better?!

A quick hello @curlyk. If you are still awake ... spoil yourself with one simple plain biscuit, such as a digestive, which should give you a harmless nudge into the 6s and then enjoy your sleep. 5 3 would be fine if you weren't so new to this; the biscuit is just a modest precaution to reduce the possibility of a night hypo. If you still feel anxious set an alarm for 2 or 3 am and do a finger prick reading then to further reassure yourself. Let us know tomorrow how you did.

My BMs today have been 7.9 (fasted), 5.5, 6.2, 6.2 after meals and 5.3 before getting in to bed…I’m now terrified of having a hypo during the night!!
None of those readings are hypo. If you have a hypo in the night, which is probably unlikely as you’re not taking gliclazide before bed, but if you did have a hypo all that will happen is you wake up feeling odd, go and wash hands and fingerprick, if it’s low you treat it with fast acting carbs, fingerprick again 15 minutes later and repeat until over 4. Then have a slow carb snack and get back in bed.

Hello everyone,
I’m new to diabetes having been diagnosed just over a week ago. My HBA1c was very high at 87, with no other symptoms.
My doctors seem very supportive and have started me on glicizade last week (2 tablets) and metformin (in addition) today - I’m on a fast release, but only taking one tablet to build up slowly.
My BMs today have been 7.9 (fasted), 5.5, 6.2, 6.2 after meals and 5.3 before getting in to bed…I’m now terrified of having a hypo during the night!! I’m not even convinced I know what these numbers mean! I keep looking at tables of blood sugar and I fear I’m going down a Google habit hole!
Please tell me these feelings eventually disperse as I get to know my blood sugars better?!
Hi @curlyk, hope your night went smoothly without any hypos. Thought you might like to read through this link: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/managing-your-diabetes/testing which covers ideal blood sugar readings (scroll near the bottom of the webpage). You might also find it helpful to read about how to prevent a hypo (as much as you possibly can) https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/complications/hypos#prevent. Hope this helps!

Every thing was fine! Thank you for your kind words and advice! I’ve found it quite overwhelming this first week, I just want to call the doctor every 5 minutes to ask if this or that is normal. But I know it will get better and the slightly lower sugars yesterday than the last week are showing the medication is working

It is overwhelming, and there's only so much you can take in at once. Take your time and learn about it all at your own pace. Although we're not your diabetes doctor or GP, you have a huge amount of support here so do keep posting to ask questions; the community is full of lived experiences.

Glad to hear you think the medication is working for you, long may it continue! 🙂

Thank you for your kind words. I’ve had a much better weekend and fully embraced lower carb/sugar life the last 10 days or so…so much that I had a galaxy ripple today and binned it as it was too sweet. I then ate a chapati and again, binned as the texture was terrible. Figured I needed to not be scared of different foods, as moderation is key. All in favour of my chicken and veggie combos ❤️
My morning fasting readings are 7-8 and the rest of the day is sitting comfortably at 5-7, so I’m hoping drastically improving my food and the medication enables better BG control in the immediate future

I visited the nurse today and she was incredibly helpful. We’re stopping gliclazide completely and continuing with metformin for the next three months then we can monitor and reassess.

We looked at the foods I was eating, and I’m eating fairly low carb in terms of meals - but was having to eat a lot of ‘unplanned’ carbs to stabilise my blood sugar and deal with hypos.

I felt she gave me a lot more information during this appointment, which was super. In fairness, it was mostly advice that I’d already been given from the kind souls on these forums, but it was good to have the conversation anyway.

Thank you all again for your support these last couple of weeks - it’s taken a lot of getting used to but the support here has been invaluable ❤️

Back