My dad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steff

Little Miss Chatterbox
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I know we have threads like this before but now it is happening to me.As you all know my dad has been staying with us well anyways while he has been here he has had 2 funny turns as he calls then where he has stood to get up and then fallen back down again on the chair, then when he sorts himself out he gets up and has blurred vision and a bad head,I jokingly said to him lets test your sugars dad he agreed and he was 14.3 course when i tested my OH he was 4.5 which is ok i guess for a no diabetic, so i never continued the diabetes theory until i got into bed with my OH and said i was quite concerned and was wondering if these turns happen when he is at home.Well like some i know he is not one for going to the doctors and has not been for over 10 years and i cant get him to go either.My plan was to get in touch with my uncle who lives with him and is type 1 diabetic so if anyone can persuade him hopefully he can.Im just worried now as when he goes back home these turns will happen and he wont tell me.

Can anyone give me any advice please.

Thanks

p.s he would be mortified if he knew i was on here like this but where else can i go for the best support ever x

Last edited:
I'd try and test him again when you know he hasn't eaten for a few hours, and maybe say to him before you test him that if this reading is over 9 (or other number not sure) then he will go to the doctors?

Just a thought not sure hope he's okay though and you get him to understand what these turns are all about!

Take care

Rossi 🙂

14.3 is very high for an undiagnosed person Steff. Problem is knowing how clean his hands were ( no sugary stuuf on fingers) Perhaps you could blackmail him about seeing his grandson grow up - not nice, I know, but may give him the spur to see his doctor?

Thanks for the idea Rossi he has agreed to let me test him again later, so thats a chinque of light i guess.
I'll try the grandson approcch just got to pluck up the courage lol.

Hi Steffie

Sorry to hear about your concerns for your Dad - hope he gets sorted soon. 🙂

Those symptoms could be so many things- many minor so try to keep positive.

Hi Steffie

Sorry to hear about your concerns for your Dad - hope he gets sorted soon. 🙂

Those symptoms could be so many things- many minor so try to keep positive.

I am hun, i know its just because im diabetic otherwise id not be thinking like this, just paranoia i guess.

I am hun, i know its just because im diabetic otherwise id not be thinking like this, just paranoia i guess.

Steffie that is a good thing- you may be way off beam with a diagnosis but if you can use it to get your Dad to seek help then you are doing the right thing🙂

good luck with him hun ...these men can be sooo stubborn when it comes to going to the docs ....but he let you test him thats a start x

Even if it's not the Big D, a checkup would be a good idea as those symptoms could mean a good many things. Maybe you could get your uncle to test his bloods a few times over the week and see what's going on then drag him to the docs?

Really sorry to hear this Steffie, you must be worried sick.

I really wish I had got my dad to the Doctors when I should have done, but faced the stubborness you are facing. I wish I had been more pushy - it wasn't dB by the way.

keep battling him Steffie - sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

I hope your dad is OK Steff. he sounds a bit like my dad and wont go to the doctor unless my mum lies to him. She tells him she has made an appointment for herself and then tells my dad she needs him there. Once he is there there is no getting out of it. Just an idea, perhaps if your dad and uncle have the same doctor, your uncle could do the same thing and then tell your dad he was soncerned?

Steff, your Dad's symptoms apart from the BG reading sounds more like 'Orthostatic Hypotension'. It is a condition where the sufferer is unable to regulate their blood pressure normally when they have been sitting down and it makes them dizzy and can cause fainting on rising, it can also cause headaches and blurred vision.

Hi everyone thanks for the replies, i have since tested my dad this afternoon and he came in at 10.2

Thank you Phil that rings true very much so

...you could do the thing of seeing your doc as he's staying with you ..and take him with you...?

Sorry Steffie, just seeing this post - not been on all day.

Hope your Dad is okay and that you manage to get him to the docs xxx

...you could do the thing of seeing your doc as he's staying with you ..and take him with you...?

2 late for all that now it is sooo hard to get an appointment at my place im not in seeing here till the 11th that was quickest i could see her never mind my dad lol x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back