My Christmas Dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we cooked enough food for the entire population of Hornchurch. 3kg Turkey roll, 3kg sirloin beef roll, nut roast, potatoes, Yorkshire puds, parsnips, carrots, peas, sprouts and chestnuts, stuffing, cauliflower cheese, red cabbage, bread sauce, Christmas pudding, chocolate log, brandy cream, normal cream.
12 of us in total.

Because I had to cancel my Christmas order I could not do very much do ended up doing two full size "pigs in blankets' and a mini Christmas pudding. What was your like?
Saved a fortune and didn't bother with lunch 🙂

We went to a local restaurant and had curry! One child went to the grandparents. I had a bit of rice, popadoms, beer and bhajis… BG peaked at 8 and back to normal later. I’ll take that as a win!

IMG_7902.jpeg

I’m confused by what happened to me today. Breakfast this morning was a croissant and sausage. Dinner this afternoon was turkey, ham, pigs in blankets, peas, sweetcorn, roasties, mash and stuffing. I also had a christmas pud and cream.

This morning my reading was 10.8 and three hours after my meal this evening 6.7. For what I’ve eaten today, does this seem correct? Apologies to @MikeyBikey for jumping on their post.

I’m confused by what happened to me today. Breakfast this morning was a croissant and sausage. Dinner this afternoon was turkey, ham, pigs in blankets, peas, sweetcorn, roasties, mash and stuffing. I also had a christmas pud and cream.

This morning my reading was 10.8 and three hours after my meal this evening 6.7. For what I’ve eaten today, does this seem correct? Apologies to @MikeyBikey for jumping on their post.

No worries as you didn't mention those beastly sprouts! Their sugars start fermenting very quickly producing obnoxious gaseous products? :(

Sorry I cannot answer you question!

Unless you have a reason to doubt it then brilliant result, maybe your meds have decided to kick in or Father Christmas brought you a present of a boost to your pancreas.

Last edited:
At lunchtime I had half an apple and a chunk of smoked cheddar followed by a dark chocolate ginger biscuit (Christmas concession) washed down with a cup of coffee with cream. Then tonight I had olives with Manchego cheese followed by left over pork mince with carrot and swede mash and savoy cabbage. Not a pig or blanket in sight although there were some horses wrapped in rugs tonight after we got back from our carriage drive with them.

Unless you have a reason to doubt it then brilliant result, maybe your meds have decided to kick in or Father Christmas brought you a present of a boost to your pancreas.
The only the other thing today that I’ve done differently is the time I took my Metformin, which was literally as I sat down to eat this afternoon.

The only the other thing today that I’ve done differently is the time I took my Metformin, which was literally as I sat down to eat this afternoon.
Are you still taking the alogliptin and when do you take that, it could be be the different timing of the metformin it allows the alogliptin to be more effective.

I always take the Alogliptin in the morning and the Metformin during breakfast (usually) within an hour.

Check your bloods later as with a lot of food or greasy food the peak can be delayed by many hours. I see this with chips!

After about 2 hours it was 8.something and then another hour later down to 6.7. I’ll give it another check in about an hour.

Check your bloods later as with a lot of food or greasy food the peak can be delayed by many hours. I see this with chips!
Took my BG at midnight and it had come up to 8.8 will see what it’s like in the morning

I was working in the restaurant from 13:30 to midnight, so the meal I had at home was a sort of brunch. I had a ham and brie wrap in a "carb lite" tortilla, scrambled eggs with some more ham, a special festive tea and 2 cake bites. I put the full box in the picture because it looks nicer but I didn't eat them all! 😉 IMG_20231225_112327.jpg

Then over my shift I was snacking here and there. Tried a bit of vegan "turkey" and this profiterol- looking thing, it was actually filled with gorgonzola and came with prune jam, it was served as the cheese course.

IMG_20231225_172812.jpg

Also had some cheddar and fuet bites and M&S mini munch that I brought from home, with a flute of leftover champagne.

Finally at 10pm was able to sit down and had some leftovers from the dinner buffet. Topped up with one mini mince pie that I found in the bar area when looking for cups to finish breakfast set up.

That's not a regular day of eating for me, but it wasn't a regular working day either!

I had a bacon and grilled tomato butty for breakfast at 6.30am. Two handmade chocolates at about 9am. Homemade blinis with smoked salmon ( maybe about three) between 12-1pm. Black pudding and belly pork with sweet chilli sauce at 3pm, then full Turkey dinner, consisting of one slice of Turkey breast, small portion of mash, two roasties, small portion of mashed carrot and swede, couple of florets of broccoli and cheese sauce, three tiny sprouts par boiled then fried off with bacon and garlic, one pig in blanket, sage and onion stuffing and gravy. At about 5pm I had a small slice of citrus cheesecake with double cream. For my tea I had two handmade chocolates at about 10pm. My highest reading was about 10am and topped about 11. Having small portions is the the only way for me, it helps my BGs, obviously, but it also helps with my gastric problems. All in all I had a lovely Christmas meal and managed to avoid any problems. Winner winner Turkey dinner!

Attachments

• IMG_4563.png
    IMG_4563.png
    35 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
My pre FOTF reading was 12.9

Oh yes. I find the same with a 'daal' that we make which contains lentils and coconut milk (With fat in it). BG gets to its peak after around 3 hours. (And when I say peak it's usually between 6.5 and 7).

I had a 3 course meal out for main I opted for something other then the traditional turkey roast dinner this time.

So for a starter I had what was called winter root vegetable soup but I think the vegetable was squash.
The main was salmon and mash potatoes with peas and sprouts.
And desert was Christmas pudding and custard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back