My choice of food last night was disastrous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Last night i was in a rush and wanted something quick to eat so had the same as my partner, 2 grill steaks in 2 burger buns - with disastrous BS readings. My 2HPM reading was 11.3, an hour later it was 13.2!! about 10 mins later it dropped down to 10.7 then by bedtime it was 8.2. It has taught me a lesson, not to have that for tea again! What i can't understand is that i have had a mcdonalds before and my reading was not as high as i thought (can't remember what it was but it wasn't in double figures) but then my partner pointed out that i had 2 burgers instead of one but who would have thought that 2 light burger buns would do so much damage? :(

Do you know what your BG was before you ate? That may well be the difference.

Burger buns make very good holders, but probably about as wise to eat as the packaging 😉

How did you cook your burgers and how much fat was in them?

Look on them as a treat every once in a while.

I don't very often take my pre-meal reading because i was led to believe that it is the 2 hour post-meal reading which is more important but when i have tested pre-meal it is usual in the 5's. I cooked the grill steaks by frying which is not something i normally do, i normally girll things but i wouldn't have thought that the fat would have made much difference, i can only think it was the buns but they were very light so not sure what went wrong :confused:

Hi Carina, it's important to test pre-meal so you know what the relative rise in you levels is. If you are 6 pre meal and you rise to 11 that's a big spike, but if you are 8 before and 11 after, it's not such a huge rise.

p.s. also it's not the weight of the buns, but the amount of carbs in them - it can be deceptive!

..........but who would have thought that 2 light burger buns would do so much damage?............
Certainly, I could well have imagined that it would have done just that Carina!

John

hi carina dont woory we all have blips .... brger buns nono but a wholemeal bun for you and dont let the others have it however much they beg🙄😉.....

I don't very often take my pre-meal reading because i was led to believe that it is the 2 hour post-meal reading which is more important but when i have tested pre-meal it is usual in the 5's. :

I've been asking this question for years and never seen an answer that makes sense. (asked it just last week again elsewhere). Just what is supposed to be significant about 2 hours? Theres nothing in particular that happens at 2 hours for a T2 not on insulin. Theres no logical reason for it to tell you anything significant.

The peak glucose release from a meal is typically 1 hour. Thats significant. At 2 hours its already halfway down, in most cases so its not telling you anything significant.

There IS a reason for insulin users, in that the one hour reading is when the bolus insulin peaks as well as the peak glucose release. So its a bad time to think about corrections. 2 hours is far better to see how things are going.

So I suspect that the main reason T2s are told to test at 2 hours is because its a hangover from when T1s were the only ones testing - when meters first appeared and were even more horrendously expensive.

But the trick is to look at how far the BG rises for a meal. A meal may cause a rise of 3 mmol/l. But if you only test after the meal, not knowing where you started then you don't know how much of an effect it had.

It may often be at 5ish, but there might be times when its spiked up before a meal - if you have a liver dump for example. So you might be starting at anywhere from 3.5 to 8. So you cannot see how far the meal has made you rise.

Have the same meal twice, but with two different starting points and you will get wildly different end results.

So if you test before and after, then see what effect the meal has you can get a better idea of what meals are "safe", what meals might need a tweak to make em safe and which meals to avoid. Once you start doing that you will build up a picture of what difference individual foods make to the mix.

But just be aware that 1 hour tests are likely to be higher than 2 hours in most cases (pizza and pasta are notable exceptions because they can spike twice and very late). So try not to be shocked if you start testing at 1 hour and see the real effect of a meal instead of the much milder 2 hour version.

But according to a lot of recent research, its the peaks that cause the damage in ways that do not show up in the A1c. So reducing those peaks appears to have far more importance than just the a1c.

Just a final note, I've seen various dietitians who appear to think that a tiny bit of fat slows the carbs down to reduce the peak by half. This is complete and utter cobblers.

We've tested it. They haven't.

p.s. also it's not the weight of the buns, but the amount of carbs in them - it can be deceptive!

Even worse, its also the speed of the carbs 😉 White flour = fast carbs = high spike and fast crash. 1 hour test may well have been a lot worse.

There IS a reason for insulin users, in that the one hour reading is when the bolus insulin peaks as well as the peak glucose release. So its a bad time to think about corrections.

Novorapid peaks at roughly 2 hours (it does vary person to person, but it is generally around the 2 hour mark), which is why we tend to test at the 2 hour mark, to make sure the peak of the insulin matched the peak of the food.

Last edited:
Ah but that is from the Novorapid people 😉

Most healthcare advisors will advise that Novorapid peaks after 2 hours. If you speak to most Novorapid users, they expect the peak to be roughly 2 hours too. Again, it depends on the person, but overall 2 hours is a general guideline.

Novorapid has also always claimed to begin taking effect after 10-15 minutes, but most people find that this is totally untrue. I know for me it takes longer to sink in and start working.

Well its a bit different from the activity profile. At 2 hours something like 60-70% has taken effect as opposed to something like 30% at an hour. So looking at it from that point of view, the peak activity has taken place at 2 hours.

Anyway, if you've overshot, its not a bad time to find out rather than when the rest of the insulin activity has taken place and driven you down further - far better than at an hour when only 30% ish of the activity has kicked in - which is what I meant above 🙂

I'd suggest the targets in Jennifer's Advice:
http://diabetesforum.org.uk/jennifers-advice
Of course you will not always hit them but we can learn something from mevery meal tested to make improvements for next time.

Carina - try not to worry too much, same happened to me, I was 12.9 after a sarnie the other day (I'm normally around 6-7 max at 2 hours after a meal) - it was the white bread. And the WW reduced sugar jam in it. And the WW crisps I had with it... 😱😛

I thought you had to test at 2 hours. I'm already wasting enough strips doing that, if I tested before, and several times after I'd be broke.

Well, that's my point LisaLQ, i am trying to cut down on my testing as i'm only allowed 50 strips per prescription. As it is at the moment i am already using my prescription a couple of times a month already, if i had to test more often i would get through the strips like wildfire and run the risk of my DN 'telling me off' for too much testing so i really have to be selective in my testing which at the moment i use 2 test strips a day and always stick to my 2HPM evening meal reading but vary the other one at various intervals throughout the week - it's so difficult :confused:

So what figure am i looking to aim for after the one hour mark?
Hi Carina,

These days I aim for a reading of 7.5 one hour after finishing eating - and achieve that most of the time.

John

i regularly eat burgers/grill steaks on a bun, its just a case of finding a bun that keeps your readings low i use warburtons buns they dont push me high , as for the burgers/grill steaks i grill them on a george forman grill takes away almost all the grease,

make a diary of what foods are low reading and what make you high ,it surprises me some times how one thing sends your bs through the roof yet another similar food stays low

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back