My belly fat is hideous

worriedT1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Feeling sick about myself. I feel like a whale, my belly fat is disgusting and I feel so hideous. Because of WFH in lockdown my belly has ballooned from 31inches to 36 inches ( I am not pregnant and Docs found nothing wrong).
I walk for 1 hr a day, and run three times a week but gut's still there.
I've eaten nothing but yogurt for 3 days and not an inch lost.
Surprised my hubby not complaining that his wife is now only slightly thinner than a whale and can only wear baggy jumpers as belly wobbles so much.

EllsBells

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
As someone also with a wobbly tum - albeit greater than 36 inches - have you come across Lucy Wyndham-Read workouts on YouTube? These might be helpful.

Vonny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I think there are plenty of us who feel or have felt that way @worriedT1. In fact I posted a thread the other day asking older ladies if they had ever got their flat tums back because although I'm down from size 20 to size 10 I still have some jelly belly. At least it is jelly now; when I started out with T2 it was just a rock solid lump of fat and I looked (and felt) like a weeble on sticks.

I think you need more than just yoghurt though. I'm afraid I can't comment on diet for a T1 because being a T2 my diet is all about low carb and I know T1s can go hypo if they don't get enough. Have you looked at the "What did you eat yesterday" thread, there are loads of good ideas on there.

My sister has also suggested the Lucy Wyndham-Read workouts @EllsBells, I must get around to doing some.

Best of luck

EllsBells

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I think there are plenty of us who feel or have felt that way @worriedT1. In fact I posted a thread the other day asking older ladies if they had ever got their flat tums back because although I'm down from size 20 to size 10 I still have some jelly belly. At least it is jelly now; when I started out with T2 it was just a rock solid lump of fat and I looked (and felt) like a weeble on sticks.

I think you need more than just yoghurt though. I'm afraid I can't comment on diet for a T1 because being a T2 my diet is all about low carb and I know T1s can go hypo if they don't get enough. Have you looked at the "What did you eat yesterday" thread, there are loads of good ideas on there.

My sister has also suggested the Lucy Wyndham-Read workouts @EllsBells, I must get around to doing some.

Best of luck
Do - they are excellent.

nonethewiser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I think you need more than just yoghurt though.

Agree with this comment, better to cut back on food gradually so reduce calories consumed.

Weighed myself last week & found had put on stone since last on scales, admittedly been eating bit more than usual in part to lockdown but mainly greed, so on weekend started cutting back on portion size & not eating bits of cheese chocolate biscuits as have been, never use to snack much so know where problem lays so will stick with 3 meals.

Hoping to lose excess weight gradually as that is way to go than fast weight loss, soon find out anyway.

LynnB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Feeling sick about myself. I feel like a whale, my belly fat is disgusting and I feel so hideous. Because of WFH in lockdown my belly has ballooned from 31inches to 36 inches ( I am not pregnant and Docs found nothing wrong).
I walk for 1 hr a day, and run three times a week but gut's still there.
I've eaten nothing but yogurt for 3 days and not an inch lost.
Surprised my hubby not complaining that his wife is now only slightly thinner than a whale and can only wear baggy jumpers as belly wobbles so much.
I am so sorry you are feeling so down :( I know how incredibly frustrating putting weight on is when you are doing everything you can diet and exercise wise. There are some days my self-esteem is non-existent and I am petrified of putting on more weight.
How are you feeling this week?

If you have access to a dietician through your diabetes team, I would give them a call and let them know how you are feeling. Mine has been incredibly supportive.

I am trying very hard to measure my progress just now in terms of exercise done and my average blood sugar levels as opposed to what the scales say (but this is much, much easier said than done).