My 6 month journey (so far) with type 2 diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahb83

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thought I’d update again esp if anyone is feeling like I was/still am. I’m age 38 was diagnosed with type 2 in September last year with a horrendous hba1c result of 89 which my nurse described as very diabetic, I wasn’t put on any meds my nurse and gp has a very modern approach to diabetes care up in north Northumberland and I feel incredibly lucky to have their care. After diagnosis I felt extreme shame and self loathing at being diagnosed with this at 38 which led my depression (which is a constant battle) to spiral, I’m still trying to come to terms with the fact that I do clearly have some kind of genetic predisposition to this disease (my dad was diagnosed mid 40’s) and that maybe it isn’t all my fault, though me carrying the extra weight that I shouldn’t have been has not helped! Anyway I was given the chance last September to go meds free and bring down my hba1c with diet and exercise and if possible weight loss and then they would reassess at 12 weeks my repeat hba1c in November was 45 and they were all extremely pleased with me although I still didn’t feel very positive my depression doesn’t help with that I think. Anyway since Christmas I have started to feel a bit better about everything it’s kind of like the fog has started to clear a bit every day isn’t a bad day of fear and panic now though I do still have days like that. I have just kept on low carbing (under 120g a day) and walking my dogs stepped up from 800 calories a day that I did for the first 12 weeks to now averaging around 1500 a day and my hba1 result today at 6 months post diagnosis is 38. Yes this so the rest of my life but at long last I feel a bit more positive that maybe yes I can do this and keep myself well I feel so much better I feel fitter and I’m 5 st lighter and I want to say thank you to everyone in this group because this is one of the things that gets me through the darker days that I’ll probly always have x

WooHoo!! Many, many congratulations Sarah! What an absolutely fantastic achievement! Please be very, VERY PROUD OF YOURSELF BECAUSE YOU DESERVE TO BE. You have worked really hard for it. I hope that the worry will gradually continue to subside and you will be able to maintain a good balance to enjoy life whilst maintaining good control.
You must feel amazing being 5 stones lighter.
I really am absolutely delighted for you. Well done!

WooHoo!! Many, many congratulations Sarah! What an absolutely fantastic achievement! Please be very, VERY PROUD OF YOURSELF BECAUSE YOU DESERVE TO BE. You have worked really hard for it. I hope that the worry will gradually continue to subside and you will be able to maintain a good balance to enjoy life whilst maintaining good control.
You must feel amazing being 5 stones lighter.
I really am absolutely delighted for you. Well done!
Thank you Barbara you really helped me through at the beginning when everything was just black. I feel like I have achieved something hoping my eye check comes back good too x

hoping my eye check comes back good too x
Just had my result back this week with the all clear. I had a "background retinopathy" result just before first lockdown but it seems that has resolved itself. My point is, even in the unlikely event that you don't get the all clear this time, don't panic, as there is every possibility that it will sort itself out by next time.
The letter saying you have background retinopathy can send people into a tailspin unnecessarily, so if it ever happens to you, don't worry, just maintain your good control and it should resolve itself.

Just had my result back this week with the all clear. I had a "background retinopathy" result just before first lockdown but it seems that has resolved itself. My point is, even in the unlikely event that you don't get the all clear this time, don't panic, as there is every possibility that it will sort itself out by next time.
The letter saying you have background retinopathy can send people into a tailspin unnecessarily, so if it ever happens to you, don't worry, just maintain your good control and it should resolve itself.
Thank you for that the guy doing said it looks good he said they look nice and healthy but I have to wait for my letter

Fantastic! You must be delighted! Keep up the good work 🙂

Fantastic result, Sarah. Having made pretty much the same journey I know exactly how it feels. Well done.

Martin
I’m hoping I’ll be able to stick to my 120g carb daily allowance I allow myself and keep my levels down I’m still on my weight loss journey until I achieve my bmi goal so another 2 st to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back