Music Festival!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berniecdj

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I‘m going to a music festival tomorrow and plan to have a few gin and tonics (zero carb option naturally!)

This will be my first alcoholic drink since my diagnosis - any top tips on how to approach this latest minefield. I’ll only be having a few during the afternoon before reverting to sugar free soft drinks in the evening.

Thanks.

Enjoy yourself 😉

Be a little mindful about what you eat / drink, but above all else enjoy the festival…that’s what it there for!

…once the festival is over, you can come back to a more ‘sensible’ time again 🙂

Enjoy yourself 😉

Be a little mindful about what you eat / drink, but above all else enjoy the festival…that’s what it there for!

…once the festival is over, you can come back to a more ‘sensible’ time again 🙂
Love that. It’s definitely a time to relax and enjoy

I was at a couple of festivals this year. Be aware that you’ll be walking more and more active than perhaps you realise, so you may find that your doses need to be slightly reduced (or you can keep topping up with extra carbs if you aren’t ready to tweak your own doses yet!).

For slimline G&T, it will depend very much on how your body responds. It may do nothing at all to your BGs (it wouldn’t for me) but you may find that even quite modest amounts of alcohol reduce your BG levels, including overnight and for some people for up to 24 hours after!

Have a great time! And take plenty of hypo treatments 🙂

I was at a couple of festivals this year. Be aware that you’ll be walking more and more active than perhaps you realise, so you may find that your doses need to be slightly reduced (or you can keep topping up with extra carbs if you aren’t ready to tweak your own doses yet!).

For slimline G&T, it will depend very much on how your body responds. It may do nothing at all to your BGs (it wouldn’t for me) but you may find that even quite modest amounts of alcohol reduce your BG levels, including overnight and for some people for up to 24 hours after!

Have a great time! And take plenty of hypo treatments 🙂
Thanks - it’s one of those trial and error scenarios isn’t it

Thanks - it’s one of those trial and error scenarios isn’t it

It sure is!

Keep yourself safe, make your best guesses, but don’t give yourself a hard time of your levels go a bit wobbly!

I‘m going to a music festival tomorrow and plan to have a few gin and tonics (zero carb option naturally!)

This will be my first alcoholic drink since my diagnosis - any top tips on how to approach this latest minefield. I’ll only be having a few during the afternoon before reverting to sugar free soft drinks in the evening.

Thanks.

Hello, you can drink enjoy the music & have fun.
The practicality of being T1 at a festival. Booze can mask hypoglycaemia. Keep watch on BGs. You may find in the relaxed environment if sleeping over alcohol could retard the morning liver dump too.
T1 low at a festival can “=“ high on “something else” to the untrained eye. Make sure the company you keep know the score on your condition. Keep treatment handy about your person, just in case.
If you are “throwing shapes” in a field? Be aware this could lower BGs if you have a bolus onboard? With alcohol you could drop quicker without the “cushion” of that “liver dump” (of glycogen.) if it was to drop? The liver can be too busy processing alcohol? The low may come on quicker than expected.

Have a great time.

The practicality of being T1 at a festival. Booze can mask hypoglycaemia. Keep watch on BGs. You may find in the relaxed environment if sleeping over alcohol could retard the morning liver dump too.
T1 low at a festival can “=“ high on “something else” to the untrained eye. Make sure the company you keep know the score on your condition. Keep treatment handy about your person, just in case.
If you are “throwing shapes” in a field? Be aware this could lower BGs if you have a bolus onboard? With alcohol you could drop quicker without the “cushion” of that “liver dump” (of glycogen.) if it was to drop? The liver can be too busy processing alcohol? The low may come on quicker than expected.

Have a great time

Have a great time.
Thanks for the reply. Alas my days of throwing shapes are definitely over (long before my T1 diagnosis ). I’m now the sitting down on the camper chair nodding my head to the music type of festival goer.

My wife will be there and she will be alter to any odd behaviour from yours truly.

Great advice. Thank you.

Have a great time.
Out of interest would you have a carb snack (eg biscuit/fruit) with the drink and before bed to maintain BS levels?

Thanks for the reply. Alas my days of throwing shapes are definitely over (long before my T1 diagnosis ). I’m now the sitting down on the camper chair nodding my head to the music type of festival goer.

My wife will be there and she will be alter to any odd behaviour from yours truly.

Great advice. Thank you.

Ah, the wife. I got one too. “6th sense.” She can offer the fast acting just before I reach for it.
You’ll be surprised. We seem about the same age group (from your profile.) my wife is a reserved dancer. Occasionally I like to run rings around the kids. 😉
A number of year back she signed us up for “la rock” classes? Sort of like “dirty dancing” (the film.)
It was ok until we had to swap partners. (Women outnumbered men.) it was mentioned I was “too bouncy.”
What do they want me to do. I was there to learn a new skill and the exercise.

To quote dirty dancing. Don’t put your “baby in a corner.” 🙂

Out of interest would you have a carb snack (eg biscuit/fruit) with the drink and before bed to maintain BS levels?

Hmmm. If you are on a basal bolus (MDI) regime? With no fast acting insulin working. I’d be tempted to use a digestive. Biscuit or even hit a burger van & snack me a kebab or burger going easy on the bread? Protein can help in the long term due to glycogenesis. But I wouldn’t hang “it” on a hook as “gospel,” pending on your personal basal prescription? (And when you’re meant to take it.)

It’s a “science experiment” (not always consistent.) I know my body. Others may certainly differ. On any given night.)

Sorry to sound vague. I know my body after many years of “experimenting” (call it what you wish. I would have lived in a bubble & not even met my wife if I didn’t “have a go.”)

I can only impart my experience and hopefully help others. Having said that. I’m still here. Done festivals over the years & survived to tell the tail.

Yes better to be a bit higher than too low. Enjoy 🙂

Ah, the wife. I got one too. “6th sense.” She can offer the fast acting just before I reach for it.
You’ll be surprised. We seem about the same age group (from your profile.) my wife is a reserved dancer. Occasionally I like to run rings around the kids. 😉
A number of year back she signed us up for “la rock” classes? Sort of like “dirty dancing” (the film.)
It was ok until we had to swap partners. (Women outnumbered men.) it was mentioned I was “too bouncy.”
What do they want me to do. I was there to learn a new skill and the exercise.

To quote dirty dancing. Don’t put your “baby in a corner.” 🙂

Hmmm. If you are on a basal bolus (MDI) regime? With no fast acting insulin working. I’d be tempted to use a digestive. Biscuit or even hit a burger van & snack me a kebab or burger going easy on the bread? Protein can help in the long term due to glycogenesis. But I wouldn’t hang “it” on a hook as “gospel,” pending on your personal basal prescription? (And when you’re meant to take it.)

It’s a “science experiment” (not always consistent.) I know my body. Others may certainly differ. On any given night.)

Sorry to sound vague. I know my body after many years of “experimenting” (call it what you wish. I would have lived in a bubble & not even met my wife if I didn’t “have a go.”)

I can only impart my experience and hopefully help others. Having said that. I’m still here. Done festivals over the years & survived to tell the tail.
I remember the film well. But the missus and I will not be attempting to replicate that dance routine regardless of how many G&Ts I consume! It can only end in tears

I remember the film well. But the missus and I will not be attempting to replicate that dance routine regardless of how many G&Ts I consume! It can only end in tears
Panic ye not. I wouldn’t feel confident holding my wife up over head in “that position” with the best will in the world. Regardless of G& T1s. (Good choice.) or whiskey and Diet Coke.)

You both enjoy the music. I only know this movie. (Dirty dancing.) because I dated a girl previously working in a video rental shop? I used to drop in & saw it in fragments. (It was on repeat during a visit.) She was obsessed with it.) it was yeas later when I saw it linear. (By this time it looked dodgy in modern context.)

Have the “time of your life.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back