Mums - they're wonderful (and Dad's too!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vince13

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
I expect I'll' get attacked for being "patronising" but that is not my intention. Let me explain - I recently looked after my grand-daughter (four & a half years old bundle of non-stop energy) for two days and I'm still totally knackered. She wasn't naughty - I just couldn't keep up with her !

How on earth you Mums (and Dads) with either type of diabetes manage to live a normal family life I just don't know.

There have already been posts on here about getting how we get niggly when our sugars go low and, when you're around adults they and you have to learn to compromise when your mood swings get going, but it must be so hard to keep cool when your young children (and I guess teenagers too) really wind you up.

I just wanted to say I don't know how you do it - but well done you lot !

Me ? I'm just going to lie down again if you don't mind !!

Faith

I dont think anyone is going to slam you for being 'patronising' 😉

Indeed! You echo how I felt 25 years ago when I looked after my three year old niece - most tiring day of my life! How do they do it?!!

I think being a mum is wonderfull. At the end of a crap day it is nice to get a huge hug and for a little person to say I love you. We adopted a little boy, my husband is retired and is Mr. Mum.

There are lows and highs, good moments and naughty moments, but I wouldn't change it for the world because I know I have a normal healthy little boy tthat I adore!

I've got three little ones (Well, not so little now, they are 6, 9 and 9) and it's just a part of everyday life. You get on with it.

As has been said elsewhere, you should rule your diabetes, not let diabetes rule your life.

I know you're right, Alan, but this caught me unawares. It's obviously a long time since I had a very young daughter running around me and back then I wasn't feeling hampered because of Diabetes. When asked to do so I didn't think looking after Kathryn would take it out of me so much because I'm only 62 - going on 18. I had all these things planned for us to do and then it rained really hard and so it was back to entertaining her full-time in the house and I didn't want us to sit and watch TV all day. Perhaps I'll be better prepared next time - "next time" oh what am I saying ?! (Back to the darkened room.....)

Faith

I know you're right, Alan, but this caught me unawares. It's obviously a long time since I had a very young daughter running around me and back then I wasn't feeling hampered because of Diabetes. When asked to do so I didn't think looking after Kathryn would take it out of me so much because I'm only 62 - going on 18. I had all these things planned for us to do and then it rained really hard and so it was back to entertaining her full-time in the house and I didn't want us to sit and watch TV all day. Perhaps I'll be better prepared next time - "next time" oh what am I saying ?! (Back to the darkened room.....)

Faith

My husband is 60 and loves being dad all over again. He is a big kid himself, and inspite (or despite) his osteoarthritis rolls round the floor with our almost 5 year old and has a great time.

Having a little one in the house has given us all a whole new lease of life, and we adore him, even when we are all ready for bed and he is doing his best to put bed time off as long as possible.

As a general rule in the summer we have a pile of things for indoors (puzzles, books, pencils and paper, games) and a pile of stuff for out doors (balls, bubbles, paddling pool, paints), so that all eventualities are covered.

As a last resort things like C Beebies are pretty good, but agree it is best not to watch too much TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back