MRI that didn't happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pumper_Sue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
To say I am a tad more than annoyed is the understatement of the year.
Had a MRI booked in on Weds for 2pm arrive in plenty of time to be told there was a 3 hour wait as 1 scan had taken longer than expected and other people had turned up late.

Being me I asked ever so politely if they knew how to use a phone to stop people having a 2 1/2 hour round trip for a non existent apt.
If I had stayed I wouldn't have got home to gone 7 pm that evening. Receptionist said oh go out for a meal and come back later!

Needless to say I didn't stay and came back home and went back to bed again. I wont be going back for the missed scan either as traveling takes so much out of me these days.

To say I am a tad more than annoyed is the understatement of the year.
Had a MRI booked in on Weds for 2pm arrive in plenty of time to be told there was a 3 hour wait as 1 scan had taken longer than expected and other people had turned up late.

Being me I asked ever so politely if they knew how to use a phone to stop people having a 2 1/2 hour round trip for a non existent apt.
If I had stayed I wouldn't have got home to gone 7 pm that evening. Receptionist said oh go out for a meal and come back later!

Needless to say I didn't stay and came back home and went back to bed again. I wont be going back for the missed scan either as traveling takes so much out of me these days.
What a trauma for you.
My daughter was due to have surgery on her ear to help her deafness at the beginning of April but waited all day only to be told they had run out of time and to go home. She just had it done on Thursday.

How frustrating!

Pete had this - pre pandemic - with his prostate cancer treatment several times before they actually got it done. He hadn't been notified by post or any other way until he received a text reminding him he had an appt the next day with the houseman of the Urology Consultant, so we both went to see him and Pete obviously said 'This appt is a surprise, didn't know about it till I had a text reminder yesterday' - and the doc replied, 'What?? - according to my List - I'm operating on you tomorrow morning!' Just as well we hadn't arranged to see my sis in Australia, then .......

So annoying!

Shortly after my mother had been delivered a terminal cancer diagnosis we went to the "big hospital" to discuss her palliative care plan and schedule some radiotherapy to manage her symptoms. Folks arriving after us were being taken in, whilst we waited. OK, sometimes arriving a bit early doesn't help.

Anyway, after a looooong time, a nurse came out to explain my Mother's records hadn't been brought over from her local hospital, so the appointment would have to be rescheduled. Needless to say, Mum was annoyed and frustrated by this, but seemed resigned. I was less resigned, so decided to act.

I engaged with the nurse and asked what we needed to do to get the records over - about 10-12 miles, to be told it wasn't possible. I offered to go collect them myself, but was told that couldn't happen, because they weren't my records. OK, so I'll take Mum with me. She can keep my company.

That was no good either, because her file might upset her (Eh?) So, I suggested I pay for a motorcycle courier to pick up the records (although he wouldn't have been the owner of the records either). That wasn't good enough either.

So, I asked to have a 2 minute conversation with the consultant where I explained the situation, and that I had travelled over 300 miles to be with my mother, and that another 650 mile round trip with zero confidence it go any better just wasn't on the cards.

We were asked if we could continue to wait and the consultant pledged we would be seen that day - we were, and she asked me to make a formal complaint as our situation was not an isolated incident.

When my other's treatment started she was never kept waiting, always seen on time, much to the bewilderment of her fellow travellers.

Sometimes making a fuss brings unexpected dividends

I can well understand your frustration Sue... sending Hugs!

Other people had turned up late? That’s their problem, if they can’t get there on time. Sorry to hear you had a wasted, and extremely tiring, trip @Pumper_Sue. :(

Sorry to hear this @Pumper_Sue - I can completely understand why you are frustrated.

What was the scan supposed to be checking for? (you may not want to answer). Will missing the rescheduled scan delay any potential diagnosis or treatment?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this @Pumper_Sue - I can completely understand why you are frustrated.

What was the scan supposed to be checking for? (you may not want to answer). Will missing the rescheduled scan delay any potential diagnosis or treatment?
It was to check for more lesion's on brain and spinal cord as having problems breathing. So not a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back