MRI scans and metal in your body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

falcon123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
In a recent post I mentioned that I could not have an MRI scan because of the metal plates and screws in my leg. However yesterday someone mentioned to me that this was not the case and only applied if the material used is magnetic. I have no idea what metal was used bar the fact that it would not be a piece of rusting mild steel! Has anyone any definitive information on this? I would not like to think my scan to be delayed for a non-problem?

I would be interested too. I thought they used titanium in my leg. It doesn't set off the airport scanners.

AFTER01.jpg

If the implant was made more than 6 months ago and was not ferro magnetic then it would normally be ok to go into the MRI room (as you probably know, an MRI scanner is a very stong magnet). If the scan is over the area where the implant is then I think there could potentially be problems with the implant heating up or twisting even if it is not ferro magnetic. (This is because of Lenz's law - Currents are induced by a fluctuating magnetic field in a conductor and these currents create a magnetic field which opposes the field of the scanner - sorry, I'm a geek :D) The department where you are referred to will have information on different types of implant and whether it is safe to have a scan or not. As far as I'm aware it's not completely contra-indicated but they have to be very careful to find out what the implant is made of. Perhaps you could ring them to ask for more information?

It is some time since hubby had an MRI Scan (he has osteoarthritis) and was asked if he had any metal in his body or if he worked with metal. He had worked with metal (some of it ferrous) and was told certain types of metal affected the way the scan worked.

It is always best to find out more if you are uncertain, good luck, I hope things work out.

Ooh, just thought as well, if the implant is near the area to be scanned it can cause errors in the image, e.g. big black holes appear where there aren't any, so that the images are useless. So that could be why you've been advised it's not suitable.

When I had my recent MRI the leaflet said you must inform them if you had any metal bits in your body, it didn't specify different types, I imagine they would go into all that if you said that you did have any. The man at the imaging dept was very helpful when I rang to question the bit that said don't eat or drink for 3 hours before, so I'm sure if you asked to speak to someone in imaging they could better inform you. Like you say, you don't want to wait longer for something and then find out there was no need. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back