MRI scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sally71

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
My daughter had an MRI scan yesterday (yes a Sunday!) which was interesting! We knew she’d have to remove her pump and sensor, I thought I’d be told to wait in the waiting room but I was actually allowed in the scan room with her. They give you a locker to put your stuff in, as the MRI scanner is basically a massive magnet you can’t be carrying any coins, keys, bank or credit cards, wrist watches, phones, any electronic devices whatsoever and I even had to remove my belt! As I was not going in the scanner itself I didn’t have to remove my glasses or jewellery (which is gold), daughter has her ears pierced but hardly ever wears anything in them any more, and neither of us has anything metal implanted in our bodies. Just as my daughter was about to get on the scanner they said “oh we’ll have to change her face mask” (because she was wearing one with the metal strip in). They gave her one without the metal strip, she took the old one off and put it on her lap... and it floated into the scanner! A good reminder of why the rules are there!

We left her pump and Dexcom transmitter in the locker, the radiographer understood that sensors can’t be reused and offered to dispose of it for us, with Dexcom though you have a transmitter bit on the top which you take off and reuse with the next sensor, so we kept that bit in the bag with the pump and the radiographer was quite fascinated with the small size of the sensor itself, and that there was no needle sticking out of it! We kept the cannula in as we use the plastic ones, no metal on those once you’ve inserted them. It was very fortuitous timing with the sensor, we got the appointment through just after we’d inserted it and it had less than 24 hours left to run so we didn’t lose much!

All went well, she was in the scanner for about half an hour, they do the scans in short bursts though, so you get a recorded announcement saying “the next scan will last for 3 minutes” or whatever and about half way through the radiographer was talking to her through the scanner to check that she was OK. It doesn’t half make a lot of noise though! They gave her ear plugs and me ear defenders but it still sounds pretty loud!

Walking into the scanner room I thought we could have been on the Starship Enterprise or something, the whole room was white except for some blue markings on the floor, and the scanner itself looks like a gigantic polo mint with a table sticking out of the hole, almost as if my daughter was about to be teleported somewhere. Amazing technology, all very interesting. I wasn’t allowed to see the images it produced of course, hope we won’t have to wait long for the results. When we got home my husband helpfully asked if they had found a brain in there!

I wasn’t allowed to see the images it produced of course, hope we won’t have to wait long for the results.
I'm not sure they have them right away, I think there's a bit of processing. No reason in principle why you (and your daughter) can't see the images. I was certainly shown images of my head. (I asked about a DVD and they suggested I might be able to get one if I asked the right people nicely, but I never pursued it).

My daughter had an MRI scan yesterday (yes a Sunday!) which was interesting! We knew she’d have to remove her pump and sensor, I thought I’d be told to wait in the waiting room but I was actually allowed in the scan room with her. They give you a locker to put your stuff in, as the MRI scanner is basically a massive magnet you can’t be carrying any coins, keys, bank or credit cards, wrist watches, phones, any electronic devices whatsoever and I even had to remove my belt! As I was not going in the scanner itself I didn’t have to remove my glasses or jewellery (which is gold), daughter has her ears pierced but hardly ever wears anything in them any more, and neither of us has anything metal implanted in our bodies. Just as my daughter was about to get on the scanner they said “oh we’ll have to change her face mask” (because she was wearing one with the metal strip in). They gave her one without the metal strip, she took the old one off and put it on her lap... and it floated into the scanner! A good reminder of why the rules are there!

We left her pump and Dexcom transmitter in the locker, the radiographer understood that sensors can’t be reused and offered to dispose of it for us, with Dexcom though you have a transmitter bit on the top which you take off and reuse with the next sensor, so we kept that bit in the bag with the pump and the radiographer was quite fascinated with the small size of the sensor itself, and that there was no needle sticking out of it! We kept the cannula in as we use the plastic ones, no metal on those once you’ve inserted them. It was very fortuitous timing with the sensor, we got the appointment through just after we’d inserted it and it had less than 24 hours left to run so we didn’t lose much!

All went well, she was in the scanner for about half an hour, they do the scans in short bursts though, so you get a recorded announcement saying “the next scan will last for 3 minutes” or whatever and about half way through the radiographer was talking to her through the scanner to check that she was OK. It doesn’t half make a lot of noise though! They gave her ear plugs and me ear defenders but it still sounds pretty loud!

Walking into the scanner room I thought we could have been on the Starship Enterprise or something, the whole room was white except for some blue markings on the floor, and the scanner itself looks like a gigantic polo mint with a table sticking out of the hole, almost as if my daughter was about to be teleported somewhere. Amazing technology, all very interesting. I wasn’t allowed to see the images it produced of course, hope we won’t have to wait long for the results. When we got home my husband helpfully asked if they had found a brain in there!
I've had one of those done ages ago. All was well with it. I hope you get good results for your daughter - and was there a brain in there lol

Did it look like this "large polo"? This is a CT scanner anView attachment 19072d not an MRI.
MRIs are a bit deeper (so more of a tube than a polo). Similar, though, and rather futuristic looking. (I guess part of it is that they're in an otherwise empty room since you don't want any metal there.)

My last one was in a portacabin in a GP surgery carpark, so a bit less sci-fi.

There is an interesting TED Talk by Doug Dietz one of the engineers involved in designing MRI and seeing the impact of the noisy scary machine on children and how it changed his perception of what is important in the design.

Yup I had one a few years back before the op on my brain tumour. They are very noisy (MRI scanners not the BT)

@MikeyBikey yes it looked very similar to that, possibly the “polo” was a bit longer!

@helli they had a little model of the scanner in the side room, and toy animals to slide into it, to show children what is going to happen to them! My child is probably old enough to understand without that demonstration but they showed her anyway, loved it!

We left her pump and Dexcom transmitter in the locker, the radiographer understood that sensors can’t be reused and offered to dispose of it for us, with Dexcom though you have a transmitter bit on the top which you take off and reuse with the next sensor,
Hi Sally,
hope your daughter is ok. The scans are fascinating arn't they?
Not sure if you know this but Dexcom will replace the sensor for you if you ring them and tell them you have a scan due or had one.

I have lower back (disc) problems (two removed) and had a recent MRI scan (not great results). When the consultant was showing me the computer image that showed the worst damage, I asked if I could take a photo of the screen. He was OK with it. Won't show it cos it's not pretty and has nothing to do with our diabetes. Just ask them for a photo. 🙂

Wow! Thanks for sharing your’s and your daughter’s fascinating experiences in such detail @Sally71 - glad you lucked out with the sensor timing 🙂

Hope the scans provide useful information 🙂

Hi Sally,
hope your daughter is ok. The scans are fascinating arn't they?
Not sure if you know this but Dexcom will replace the sensor for you if you ring them and tell them you have a scan due or had one.
That’s interesting to know - thanks! I shan’t bother this time, as someone has to pay for these replacements and we only lost half a day, which isn’t much. Useful to know if we ever have to have another one though and don’t get so lucky!

Wow! Thanks for sharing your’s and your daughter’s fascinating experiences in such detail @Sally71 - glad you lucked out with the sensor timing 🙂

Hope the scans provide useful information 🙂
I hope so too, although I suspect it won’t be that simple unfortunately :(
Three different doctors (GP, CAMHS doctor and hospital paediatrician) are all expecting the scans to show nothing physically wrong (she had an EEG about a month ago too)
But then that means that the problems she’s been having are either complex tics or pseudo seizures which basically means they are just a psychological response to anxiety, which is a lot harder to deal with. I think my daughter would almost prefer it if they told her that yes you do have epilepsy, here are some pills to make it all better, job done. Unfortunately even if it was epilepsy it’s not always that simple. Let’s just hope it doesn’t find anything REALLY nasty (doctors seem to think it won’t so that’s encouraging)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back