MRI results - 4/4 - any thoughts please - lumbar

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJLang

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Lumbar spine alignment is normal.
No loss of vertebral body or intervertebral disc height. Vertebral marrow signal characteristics are normal.
The spinal cord terminates at L1. The conus is normal.
Mild facet joint and disc degenerative changes at several levels with no spinal cord or nerve root compression. The changes are most pronounced at L5/S1 where there is a small central disc protrusion and there is a small left facet joint effusion.
No other significant lumbar spine abnormality.
CONCLUSION: Mild multilevel degenerative changes with no cauda equina or nerve root compression

That sounds like a pretty good result Amanda. I think we all accept that our spine is going to show signs of wear and tear as we get older but I don't think there is anything drastic in that report. Are you pleased with it?

Thank you both of you. Yes I’m pleased with the results but had been hoping that they showed why I have problems with walking and have had bad lower back pain that spreads to both my legs for several years. But I’m glad that there was nothing unexpected in the report.

Yes I’m pleased with the results but had been hoping that they showed why I have problems with walking and have had bad lower back pain that spreads to both my legs for several years.
Agreed, it's a mixed result in that sense.

Suspect it's basically saying like everyone else you are getting older and it shows wear and tear on your joints.

You could take MRI reports of the entire population of over 50’s spines and find similar changes in around 90% of them, largely asymptomatic. It’s almost ubiquitous, and it’s the price we pay for walking upright on two legs.

Thank you both of you. Yes I’m pleased with the results but had been hoping that they showed why I have problems with walking and have had bad lower back pain that spreads to both my legs for several years. But I’m glad that there was nothing unexpected in the report.

I put mine down to old age, and too much abuse in my youth when I took it for granted I'd last forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back