MRI and Libre Sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Does anybody know if you need to remove your Libre, or any other, sensor for an MRI scan. I am just waiting for transport to go for one on my poorly leg. Unfortunately, I did not receive the appointment letter (hopefully not sent to a previous address again). There are a few bits of irremovable pieces of metal in me - a metal plate and assorted screws along my femur, and my wired breastbone!

And I have just spent 20 minutes stemming the bleeding after bouncing off the doorframe. Sorry to say I swore but repeating what I said here is against forum guidelines! Despite drinking more my skin is looking older and drier!

View attachment 29155

Does anybody know if you need to remove your Libre, or any other, sensor for an MRI scan. I am just waiting for transport to go for one on my poorly leg. Unfortunately, I did not receive the appointment letter (hopefully not sent to a previous address again). There are a few bits of irremovable pieces of metal in me - a metal plate and assorted screws along my femur, and my wired breastbone!

And I have just spent 20 minutes stemming the bleeding after bouncing off the doorframe. Sorry to say I swore but repeating what I said here is against forum guidelines! Despite drinking more my skin is looking older and drier!

View attachment 29155
Basically you need to tell them, and they then decide if it’s safe.

Basically you need to tell them, and they then decide if it’s safe.
I'm pretty sure you'll have to remove it. (And Abbott will surely send a replacement when you ask.) Whenever I've had an MRI (only of my head) I've had to remove all metal everywhere. (That was pre-Libre.)

I'm pretty sure you'll have to remove it. (And Abbott will surely send a replacement when you ask.) Whenever I've had an MRI (only of my head) I've had to remove all metal everywhere. (That was pre-Libre.)
Yes, I’m sure they tell you to remove anything removable like a Libre, the grey area is implants.

I'm pretty sure you'll have to remove it. (And Abbott will surely send a replacement when you ask.) Whenever I've had an MRI (only of my head) I've had to remove all metal everywhere. (That was pre-Libre

That would be good as I have no sensor wriggle room as I have had a few finishing early that terminated my spare!

I had to remove it and had to sign a form saying I had removed it

Yes - had to remove sensor so back on finger pricking as prescription not due till Saturday week! As they only scanned lower abdomen and legs HCA was also slightly puzzled by requirement. Sadly not allowed to test it out! :(

More after physio or tomorrow!

Yes - had to remove sensor so back on finger pricking as prescription not due till Saturday week! As they only scanned lower abdomen and legs HCA was also slightly puzzled by requirement. Sadly not allowed to test it out! :(

Have you reported the failed sensors to abbot as replacements usually arrive much faster than that

I had a ct (i think, may have been mri?) of kidneys and was ok keeping a dexcom on my arm...well, they asked if i could take it off and i said no. Perhaps this was the wrong answer but all was ok. Same when it was repeated about a month later

Will do after physio as transport should be here and I may have to chop call!
I reported my Libre failure via the online form. It was much easier for me because I did not feel the pressure of looking things up as their support person waited.
The replacement sensor arrived 3 or 4 days later.

I had a CT scan of my kidney area a couple of weeks ago, but nobody asked me if I had any form of blood glucose sensor, and I forgot about it!
There were no problems, either with the CT scanner or with the Libre 2 sensor, either at scan time or subsequently.

Have you reported the failed sensors to abbot as replacements usually arrive much faster than that
Even better (for the future), give Abbott a call before the scan and ask about it, and they may well send a replacement in advance. (I'm pretty sure someone reported doing that and getting one sent.)

Even better (for the future), give Abbott a call before the scan and ask about it, and they may well send a replacement in advance. (I'm pretty sure someone reported doing that and getting one sent.)
They replaced mine for an emergency mri but said they wouldn’t for a planned one. Though always worth asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back