MP warns 'NHS emergency' with Birmingham hospitals in danger of running out of beds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A BIRMINGHAM MP has warned the city could run out of hospital beds after a shock investigation showed wards are nearing full capacity.

Former health minister Liam Byrne said health chiefs face an ‘NHS emergency’ after latest grim statistics revealed some hospitals are using 96 per cent of available beds.

Infection control experts advise occupancy rates should not be higher than 85 per cent because of an increased risk of infections if there is not enough time to clean properly between patients.

Most of the seven biggest hospital trusts in the West Midlands have action plans in place to cope with rising demand over the winter, with some opening new temporary wards.

Yet they are still struggling.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/mp-warns-nhs-emergency-birmingham-8296192

They actually said on the BBC Midlands news one evening last week that the previous night there was a period of several hours where there were no ambulances available in the Wolverhampton, Birmingham or Coventry areas. Of course - every one of those covers a much larger area than just the 3 actual towns.

That is downright scary.

Damn good job there wasn't a major incident or a bad smash on one of the motorways - and let's hope nobody died because of it.

I had some first aid training last week off a member of the local fire service and he was telling us of this problem while making sure we actually need an ambulance before dialling 999.

He was explaining how the beds are blocked worse than they ever have been and that the ambulance service would actually be quite quiet if they could unload patients. He get some of the details first hand from the ambulance station next to his fire station.

I really think some family members could be doing more for their elderly relatives and that must surely be included in any long term solution to the problem of caring for the elderly where we appear to be failing very badly. We can blame politicians and government but at the end of the day it is our elders and we should be doing more in what ever way we can.

I really think some family members could be doing more for their elderly relatives and that must surely be included in any long term solution to the problem of caring for the elderly where we appear to be failing very badly. We can blame politicians and government but at the end of the day it is our elders and we should be doing more in what ever way we can.

I think there is obviously truth in that, but it also needs to be considered how things have changed since that was more of the norm. Often, all addult children or close relatives are working, and are often scattered far away from home as the job market has changed over the past few decades. Also, I think because people are living longer, but not necessarily healthily, their problems may be of a type that rarely existed when people used to pop their clogs a year after retirement (if they lived that long - three of my grandparents were dead and buried before reaching the age I am now. The NHS budget may have been ring-fenced, but it has not been increased to allow for the changes everyone knew was coming :(

I think there is obviously truth in that, but it also needs to be considered how things have changed since that was more of the norm. Often, all addult children or close relatives are working, and are often scattered far away from home as the job market has changed over the past few decades. Also, I think because people are living longer, but not necessarily healthily, their problems may be of a type that rarely existed when people used to pop their clogs a year after retirement (if they lived that long - three of my grandparents were dead and buried before reaching the age I am now. The NHS budget may have been ring-fenced, but it has not been increased to allow for the changes everyone knew was coming :(
That was t firemans point really, it isn't the NHS, it is a massive question of social care and where our elders can live, there seems to be a shortage of places that have the capacity to deal with their needs so they end up in hospital when that really isn't the best place.

As a full time carer to an 89 year old, ambulances can be a God send. As a trained first aider, I know what to look for, for obvious injuries etc. However, it is great to have professional advice. Having said that, the time we have to wait in A and E, up to 10 hours. That too has to be addressed. My Dad is happy to remain at home, but requires more and more help and aid - but there will come a time when I too need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back