Moving from Victoza to insulin (Humalin 8 units)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CornishDowser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Like a lot of people I am being moved to insulin in absence of Victoza. My DSS has said to just let the readings drift up before change of type or dose. I am currently getting readings in low 20s, how long can I safely run at these levels ?

There’s no precise answer to that @CornishDowser but in the low 20s isn’t good. What exact Humulin are you taking? There should be numbers and/or letters after the word Humulin.

Last edited:
Hi. Being in the low 20s is not good and you need to try to get it down. Do you have excess weight? if so, then the insulin may not be that effective due to insulin resistance and you need to seek advice from the nurse on insulin dose and whether you should be on Basal/Bolus regime if not already. Are you keeping your meal-time Carbs way down which is essential with that high BS level.

Thank you for replying, weight is not a problem, when I was on Victoza (plus Metformin and repaglinide) my reading were 7 - 7.5. My HBA1C was 7.5. The Humalin is a Kwikpen SC use.

Thank you for replying, weight is not a problem, when I was on Victoza (plus Metformin and repaglinide) my reading were 7 - 7.5. My HBA1C was 7.5. The Humalin is a Kwikpen SC use.

Kwikpen is the name of the pen device. There should be a letter or a letter and number after the word Humulin @CornishDowser eg Humulin i, Humulin R, Humulin M3.

Thanks @CornishDowser That’s Humulin i (note that that’s a letter i not a number 1). The i stands for isophane, which is a form of slow-acting insulin used as a basal/background insulin. That kind of insulin isn’t so good at dealing with food/carbs, as they cause a quick rise and so need a fast-acting insulin.

Are you taking just one dose of the Humulin i per day?

I think there is a stylized i in green italic, I have attached a photo which is fine in the original, but on here it is not very clear but I think you can make it out

Attachments

• Humulin Pen.jpg
    Humulin Pen.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 3
Thanks @CornishDowser That’s Humulin i (note that that’s a letter i not a number 1). The i stands for isophane, which is a form of slow-acting insulin used as a basal/background insulin. That kind of insulin isn’t so good at dealing with food/carbs, as they cause a quick rise and so need a fast-acting insulin.

Are you taking just one dose of the Humulin i per day?
That is the one, 1 shot daily.I believe myDSN is either going to up the dose or more probably change to a longer acting form. I just feel very uncomfortable with numbers this high, my HB1 has been 7.5 for years. Maybe she needs to see how high it will rise.

It’s often taken twice a day @CornishDowser Unless you’re eating loads of carbs, it looks like you need more of the Humulin i and possibly a second dose of it too (which might be a different amount from your first dose).

I’d give your nurse a call tomorrow, tell them your blood sugar is in the 20s and get advice about increasing the insulin. You’re on quite a small amount.

It’s often taken twice a day @CornishDowser Unless you’re eating loads of carbs, it looks like you need more of the Humulin i and possibly a second dose of it too (which might be a different amount from your first dose).

I’d give your nurse a call tomorrow, tell them your blood sugar is in the 20s and get advice about increasing the insulin. You’re on quite a small amount.
Thank you to all who have replied, it`s pretty much confirmed what I was thinking, which has helped. I`m due to speak with my DSN on Friday, so fairly soon. Thank you all again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back