Moving from Humalog 25/75 to separate bolus/basal regimen

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidGCS

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm about to make this change to insulin injections after 12 years on Humalog combined. Any advice would be much appreciated. I understand it will be more complicated but hope it will be more effective at controlling my blood sugars through the 24 hours.

Welcome @DavidGCS 🙂 The basal/bolus regime will give you a lot more flexibility with your food and meals. You might even find it improves your blood sugars too. Although it’s extra injections, it’s a positive thing and I hope you’ll soon be experiencing the benefits of it🙂

What basal insulin are you going to use? My advice is to test extra, take things cautiously to start with and once you’ve mastered the idea of it all, then branch out a bit with your meals.

I'm about to make this change to insulin injections after 12 years on Humalog combined. Any advice would be much appreciated. I understand it will be more complicated but hope it will be more effective at controlling my blood sugars through the 24 hours.
Hi. Which insulins are you switching to ? They tend to fob off T2s with ancient 'Human Insulins' rather than modern Insulin Analogues.

Hi. Which insulins are you switching to ? They tend to fob off T2s with ancient 'Human Insulins' rather than modern Insulin Analogues.

The OP is Type 1? Some people actually get on better with the older insulins rather than the analogues. Newest isn’t best for everyone. Humalog is an analogue anyway 🙂

Have you also been prescribed Freestyle Libre sensors? These will help you keep track of your BG levels more frequently which will hopefully help you to manage the change in insulin regime. If you haven't got Libre sensors then ask for them?

If you can give us more info on the new insulins we can offer personal experiences of them.

Many thanks to you all for replying. A bit of background: I am T1 and have been on Humalog since diagnosis (what David Cavan calls medical inertia) I have Freestyle Libre for 2 months now, brilliant and has highlighted the shortcomings of a combined and fixed injection. I have no idea what insulins "the team" will prescribe - I am waiting for an appointment but it may be a couple of months. It would help me greatly to know what I should be pressing for. I am 81 and retired and very happy and capable of learning new things!

Many thanks to you all for replying. A bit of background: I am T1 and have been on Humalog since diagnosis (what David Cavan calls medical inertia) I have Freestyle Libre for 2 months now, brilliant and has highlighted the shortcomings of a combined and fixed injection. I have no idea what insulins "the team" will prescribe - I am waiting for an appointment but it may be a couple of months. It would help me greatly to know what I should be pressing for. I am 81 and retired and very happy and capable of learning new things!
Oops, you mentioned a Mix so I assumed you would be T2 ! Presumably as a T1 you'll be on a Bolus of a modern rapid acting Insulin Analogue like Novorapid and a Basal of a 24 hour Analogue such as Lantus or Levemir.

Oops, you mentioned a Mix so I assumed you would be T2 ! Presumably as a T1 you'll be on a Bolus of a modern rapid acting Insulin Analogue like Novorapid and a Basal of a 24 hour Analogue such as Lantus or Levemir.
No, I am on a Humalog 25/75 Mix which is a combined bolus/basal mix in a prefilled pen, not individual injections. It is made by Eli Lilly.

No, I am on a Humalog 25/75 Mix which is a combined bolus/basal mix in a prefilled pen, not individual injections. It is made by Eli Lilly.
They mean that is what you will switch to. It doesn’t matter which basal bolus you start with since different ones suit different people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back