Moving address sorting repeat prescription

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spannerx

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi there.

I am in the process of changing jobs and moving in with my girlfriend who lives 170 miles away. I currently have no available days to book off in my current job and will begin moving over a period of 4 days.

I go through a large amount of levimer as I take 60 units every night and therefore require prescriptions quite regularly as I go through levimer like water. As the move of address is due to happen within the next three weeks and requires ID for me to change my GP at any surgery near where I am relocating to. Is there any way I could go to a chemist near by and get repeat prescriptions set up to the address I'm moving to or will I need to change GP before I can do this. As I'm fearful I will run out of levimer a week after my move

Is there a process that I would need to go through and can this be done within a week ideally. The only other option I have is to continue getting repeat prescriptions delivered to my old address where my parents currently live come down at a weekend and hope I don't run out.

Hi @Spannerx, welcome to the forum 🙂

Don’t worry, just go the local surgery and register. When you do that, you’ll have to supply a list of your current medication. They will be able to supply prescriptions even if only under the “temporary resident” regulations. I’ve done it twice in the last 10 years seamlessly. It’s not as if you are on any controlled drugs. Make sure you have a copy of your current medication list from your latest prescription, it makes it so much easier.

Plus, it would be a good idea to make sure you have an adequate supply before you go.

And best of luck in your new job and location, and a happy future to you both🙂

Ask your current GP for a bigger prescription quantity before you go, I have always found them to be accommodating.

Hi @Spannerx also to put your mind at rest and bridge any gaps your current GP can send your prescription to a chemist local to where you will be living if you specify the chemist. Maybe ask your g/f for the name of the nearest one?

Definitely do what @MarkGeordie said, because it's always possible the new surgery may need to see you in person before completing your registration - hence your new employer must understand you could need a little bit of time off in order to complete the formalities of moving home with the NHS, which I presume they do already know since your application will have been from your parents home.

When I need prescriptions on holiday I just change the pharmacy in my app and order the prescription to a local one, works fine for me within England. Could you do that until you’re set up?

Or follow the advice I gave in the earlier post. Simple and straightforward, I would have thought, because I know how it’s done.

Or follow the advice I gave in the earlier post. Simple and straightforward, I would have thought, because I know how it’s done.
it can take time to get to the GP when it’s open when you’re working, and to acquire the proof of new address to register

Hope the move goes well @Spannerx 🙂

Sounds like you might need to chat to your new GP about the amount of Levermir on each repeat prescription?

Just providing an update to you all regarding this. I have spoken to my GP making them aware of my move well spoken to the receptionist. They have said that they can't provide an additional prescription so soon and I will have to register with a new GP first. So I had my latest prescription denied. My next method is I'm going to call and try and arrange an phone appointment with my GP to let them know how much Levermir i go through and hope that they can then up the dosage on my prescription before I move next Tuesday. All in all I have around three pens of Levermir left which should last for 12 days. (provided I do not eat anything with too many carbs meaning upping the dosage) that will give me a total of 6 days to register with a new GP and get a prescription delivered to my new address before I run out . I think if today's plan fails I will call GP surgerys around the area to see how far I can get in registry process before proof of ID is required. I have registered the change with the DVLA and my license has arrived with my girlfriend with the updated address on. I am waiting for a bank statement also. Failing that it's a trip up to the A and E next week to request an emergency prescription for Levermir. A lot of people in the NHS say it's for emergencies only. But there were a lot of opportunities which I am trying to provide to the NHS to act before it comes an emergency. I do have respect for the NHS but for processes like this they are not helping themselves.

Just providing an update to you all regarding this. I have spoken to my GP making them aware of my move well spoken to the receptionist. They have said that they can't provide an additional prescription so soon and I will have to register with a new GP first. So I had my latest prescription denied. My next method is I'm going to call and try and arrange an phone appointment with my GP to let them know how much Levermir i go through and hope that they can then up the dosage on my prescription before I move next Tuesday. All in all I have around three pens of Levermir left which should last for 12 days. (provided I do not eat anything with too many carbs meaning upping the dosage) that will give me a total of 6 days to register with a new GP and get a prescription delivered to my new address before I run out . I think if today's plan fails I will call GP surgerys around the area to see how far I can get in registry process before proof of ID is required. I have registered the change with the DVLA and my license has arrived with my girlfriend with the updated address on. I am waiting for a bank statement also. Failing that it's a trip up to the A and E next week to request an emergency prescription for Levermir. A lot of people in the NHS say it's for emergencies only. But there were a lot of opportunities which I am trying to provide to the NHS to act before it comes an emergency. I do have respect for the NHS but for processes like this they are not helping themselves.
Maybe if you choose a GP near your new address your girlfriend could take your driving licence round as proof of ID.
Usually GPs only cover a certain radius from the surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back