Motivation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duane Charles

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Or rather lack of it. I am finding difficult to summon the energy to do anything. Most of daily exercise is done while at work, I reckon on doing an average 5 or 6K steps a day. Obviously, I know I should be doing more. The issue seems to be when I’m home that I do nothing (quite literally).

Wishing all of you that celebrate all the very best for the festive season and those of you who don’t to enjoy yourselves.

How about a Fitbit or similar @Duane62 ? When I first got mine, I enjoyed getting up to the 10,000 steps or over and found it made me get out of the house for a walk when previously I might not have.

When in the house, if you have jobs to do (and are maybe putting them off like me!), I ‘reward’ myself with things like some internet time or a cup of tea, or I set a timer and see how much I can do in X amount of time. This is good for tidying and cleaning. Keep your times short, eg 15 to 30 mins. You could use the same for leisure activities, eg if you usually veg out in front of the TV, read a book or whatever for 30 mins before putting the TV on. Breaking up the day into timings, routines and segments can really help.

How about a Fitbit or similar @Duane62 ? When I first got mine, I enjoyed getting up to the 10,000 steps or over and found it made me get out of the house for a walk when previously I might not have.
I do have an Apple Watch that records my steps, unfortunately I can’t wear it in work (food hygiene regs). My phone also does the same. I have very few interests and have to be in the mood to watch a film etc. My passion is aviation, alas during the winter months the days are short sometimes quite cold. Perhaps I also suffer with SAD? it also could be that I’m totally burnt out from the hours worked, I’m averaging around 180 hours every 4 weeks. I’m not getting any younger and maybe need to slow down.

Are you taking a vitamin D supplement? A large number of people are deficient in it. I find it helps my energy a lot. With your job, could you reduce your hours, or even look for a new job? Or maybe a Mon to Fri job?

Aim low. Even doing a 15 minute walk in the evenings when you’re not working can help. Walking and fresh air can really help emotionally.

I have too many interests rather than too few! I don’t know how but I’m naturally curious and often find a new interest by browsing the internet or the physical library.

Most of the hours I work include weekends and are from 4pm - 11pm when the store closes. It can take up to an hour to complete the clean and closing paperwork which includes a full inventory count.

The only “extra” I’m taking is Folic Acid, I have 2 months left to take and then another blood test.

Because I class myself as a “Southern Softy”, this time of year doesn’t inspire me to go out have the cobwebs blown away.

Try the vitamin D (unless contraindicated, of course). Sometimes persistent lack of motivation can be due to an actual problem. I’ve mentioned deficiencies but there’s also depression. Sometimes people just need some short-term meds to help. It’s far more common than you’d think.

The issues I have mentioned before are part of the problem, I also feel like I’m not good enough (Imposter Syndrome) and I am having conversations about getting more help.

@Inka thank you for your responses, much appreciated 🙂

The issues I have mentioned before are part of the problem, I also feel like I’m not good enough (Imposter Syndrome) and I am having conversations about getting more help.

I found counselling gave me more confidence. It made me stop and really think about my reactions. The counsellor just asked gently probing questions, which sounds like nothing, but the whole experience was very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back