Morning, what is the healthiest protein shake for type 2. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Healthy" is one of those words that has become part of the PR lexicon to the point where it can mean anything to anybody. In reality what is "healthy" in one set of circumstances could well be "unhealthy" in another.

So, what do you want from your shake so that it would be "healthy" for you.

To me a protein shake isn't healthy at all.... it is a highly processed powder that you mix with water or skimmed milk and tip down your throat. Why would you want to drink that over eating real whole food that needs chewing and digesting and provides a mixture of textures and flavours? I know the answer of course (because it is quick and easy and needs little thought) but just posing the question to make you think about your reasons for wanting such a product.
Are you doing the Newcastle very low calorie diet?

Is this as part of a gym routine @Bmbz?

I guess the answer is whichever keeps your BG levels roughly in range? Do you use a BG meter to check the effects of different foods on your blood glucose levels?

Avoid any that are high carb. I don't believe in these shakes BTW. They may do no harm but why take them?

My son overdid taking protein shakes in relation to gym activity and wound up with kidney problems. So please take care!

I prefer a normal balanced shake, like Tesco's, but I use them to lose weight, do you want to use a protein shake for any specific reason?

Kidney problems? Good grief, I don't need that. Is Slimfast a protein shake? I'm on Slimfast now I've used up all my Tesco ones but I've been using whole milk. I did intend to go onto the bottled version which I think would be less calories. I've been informed that I will at some point not be able to eat so I was getting used to the idea. Irony isn't in it I can tell you. 🙄

I think you make Exante with water so may swap over. Was hoping @ColinUK would remind me. I did try them once but memory is shot due to constant double figures bg. Why are you using shakes? I have to I think although I've not been told to do so by anybody in the know. They've told me nothing apart from giving me the feeling that I am doomed. Nice of them. May one particular doctor rot in hell for eternity, I thought the mantra was 'first do no harm.' I don't think she got the memo. She scared me to death and obviously loathed me on sight. :D

I wish I knew what I was doing. I wish I wasn't a food addict.

Kidney problems? Good grief, I don't need that. Is Slimfast a protein shake? I'm on Slimfast now I've used up all my Tesco ones but I've been using whole milk. I did intend to go onto the bottled version which I think would be less calories. I've been informed that I will at some point not be able to eat so I was getting used to the idea. Irony isn't in it I can tell you. 🙄

I think you make Exante with water so may swap over. Was hoping @ColinUK would remind me. I did try them once but memory is shot due to constant double figures bg. Why are you using shakes? I have to I think although I've not been told to do so by anybody in the know. They've told me nothing apart from giving me the feeling that I am doomed. Nice of them. May one particular doctor rot in hell for eternity, I thought the mantra was 'first do no harm.' I don't think she got the memo. She scared me to death and obviously loathed me on sight. :D

You’re right, Exante shakes are mixed with water although you can add a little cream and a tonne of ice and basically make a very thick milkshake.

Slim fast do a keto shake, I was actually using those between meals to try bulk up believe it or not. They are actually pretty nice and way less carb/sugar than the normal ones. Downside of all protein shakes unfortunately for me is bloating. So I don’t use them anymore

Tesco diet shakes are around 20g of carbs.
So on the three a day, and another meal in the evening I did over January and February, I was definitely low carbing.
By definition, any shake is low carb, on top on providing a completely balanced nutrient intake.

Exante is a meal replacement, not a protein shake but it's much better than slimfast and indeed needs water to mix and tastes nicer..... Protein shakes are not necessary for 'normal' people and most contain lots of unessential calories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back