Morning walks & Novorapid

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawprint91

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
So tomorrow I am officially "back to work" (albeit on a phased return, but still), which means I'm back to walking my dog before I head out in the mornings. Whilst I have been off, I have been having novorapid, eating maybe 10-15 mins later and then gone out on a dogwalk. Morning walks are usually round the block/park and last about 20 mins. Is there a chance I could have novorapid before I leave for my 20 min walk and eat breakfast when I come back, or are the chances of a hypo there a bit risky? (I walk fast enough to affect my levels normally - usually making them drop). Or should I just have it when I come back as I have been doing and give it 15 mins? Thank you in advance as always 🙂

No! Never inject prior to exercise/bath/travelling - it’s simply not worth the risk.

(Sorry for the exclamation mark - was concern not bossiness)

I have done it but wouldn't recommend it.
You think it is a predictable 20 minute walk but what if your dog ran off or you came across a friend and chatted for 15 minutes or the usual path was blocked and you had to take a different longer route?
You cannot guarantee you will be back to your breakfast before your levels drop regardless of what effects (if any) the walking has on your levels.

@Inka I took the exclamation as concern! @helli great points about the unpredictable! Thank you both 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back