Morning readings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

marymurphy13

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I need some tips on how to bring my morning readings down. I’ve been really good and my readings through the day aren’t that bad. But that morning reading (before I’ve eaten) is still around 8.

The reason I ask is you may suffer what they call foot in the floor syndrome. See this would be a typical morning for me, and that’s with no food also. I usually shoot up a few points by just getting out of bed. What I’m saying is that your actual fasting sugars might not be as bad as you think. I know my numbers are pretty good but don’t worry they weren’t always like that. I often would be in the teens with foot on the floor

Attachments

• 36772861-EAAB-40CA-B6AD-72A73978B856.jpeg
    36772861-EAAB-40CA-B6AD-72A73978B856.jpeg
    24.9 KB · Views: 10
Morning reading are often the last to come down, people have good before and after meal readings but the morning readings remain stubbornly high.
Just look the tread where people post their morning readings and you will see they are often all over the place.

Morning reading are often the last to come down, people have good before and after meal readings but the morning readings remain stubbornly high.
Just look the tread where people post their morning readings and you will see they are often all over the place.
Thank you.

Eating something as soon as you get up can sometimes stop "Foot on the Floor" syndrome. The rise in levels is caused by your liver dumping glucose into your blood stream to give you energy for the day ahead. Unfortunately, because you/we are diabetic, our pancreas doesn't respond efficiently to produce insulin to let us use that glucose. Food hitting our stomach sends a message to the liver to stop dumping glucose because food has arrived and should also trigger your pancreas to produce insulin when it maybe wasn't paying attention to the liver glucose dump.... It can be to do with the liver and pancreas being clogged up with fat which stops them from communicating effectively with each other but the message from the stomach is a more direct trigger to both organs to switch on or off those functions.
Losing weight either by slowly reducing your carb intake or by following a very low calorie diet like the Newcastle/Fast 800 diets should reduce the visceral fat from these organs and you should start to see the result of better communication between them to bring your fasting levels down because the pancreas gets the message from the liver to release insulin. In the mean time, you might try eating breakfast straight away and then getting showered and changed..... or heading out for a walk or run as soon as you get up to burn off the glucose, which is actually what it is being released for.... It is believed to be a throw back to prehistoric times when we had to head out and hunt or gather our first meal of the day, rather than walk to into the kitchen and open the fridge, if that makes sense.

Anyway, as @Emmal31 suggests, try taking your waking reading before you get out of bed on a morning for a couple of days and then also take it at the normal time after your shower and cuppa and come back to us with the results as it is always interesting to see the results of other people's experiments.

Eating something as soon as you get up can sometimes stop "Foot on the Floor" syndrome. The rise in levels is caused by your liver dumping glucose into your blood stream to give you energy for the day ahead. Unfortunately, because you/we are diabetic, our pancreas doesn't respond efficiently to produce insulin to let us use that glucose. Food hitting our stomach sends a message to the liver to stop dumping glucose because food has arrived and should also trigger your pancreas to produce insulin when it maybe wasn't paying attention to the liver glucose dump.... It can be to do with the liver and pancreas being clogged up with fat which stops them from communicating effectively with each other but the message from the stomach is a more direct trigger to both organs to switch on or off those functions.
Losing weight either by slowly reducing your carb intake or by following a very low calorie diet like the Newcastle/Fast 800 diets should reduce the visceral fat from these organs and you should start to see the result of better communication between them to bring your fasting levels down because the pancreas gets the message from the liver to release insulin. In the mean time, you might try eating breakfast straight away and then getting showered and changed..... or heading out for a walk or run as soon as you get up to burn off the glucose, which is actually what it is being released for.... It is believed to be a throw back to prehistoric times when we had to head out and hunt or gather our first meal of the day, rather than walk to into the kitchen and open the fridge, if that makes sense.

Anyway, as @Emmal31 suggests, try taking your waking reading before you get out of bed on a morning for a couple of days and then also take it at the normal time after your shower and cuppa and come back to us with the results as it is always interesting to see the results of other people's experiments.
Thank you so much Barbara. You have explained it so well. I’m going to take a couple of waking readings. Hopefully these will make me feel more positive. It can be very disheartening when I been so strict with my diet. I don’t need to lose weight. It’s all to do with an op that requires me to get on top of these figures.

I have tried all says to get my morning levels down but I have l very kind liver that is convinced that I will die if I don't get plenty of glucose into my body in a morning !!!

I need some tips on how to bring my morning readings down. I’ve been really good and my readings through the day aren’t that bad. But that morning reading (before I’ve eaten) is still around 8.
There are whole historic threads on here about fooling the Dawn Phenomenon. The usual idea is a long acting snack at bedtime so the liver doesn't think you need glucose.

I would do some testing first to see when your levels are rising. If they mostly start to rise in the morning after you get up then a bedtime snack is unlikely to work, but food as soon as you get up may help more. If the rise in BG starts in the early hours then a bedtime snack might be helpful.
Usually a mixture of longer acting carbs like an oatcake with something fatty like cheese or peanut butter or some peanuts can be pretty good for slow release.

I would do some testing first to see when your levels are rising. If they mostly start to rise in the morning after you get up then a bedtime snack is unlikely to work, but food as soon as you get up may help more. If the rise in BG starts in the early hours then a bedtime snack might be helpful.
Usually a mixture of longer acting carbs like an oatcake with something fatty like cheese or peanut butter or some peanuts can be pretty good for slow release.
Thank you. So many good ideas here.

Well its individual and everybody has their own idea. Slow acting protein like a cube of cheese has worked for me or a couple of oatcakes with butter.
I need to look out for these “oat cakes”. More than one person has mentioned them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back