Morning glucose

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanettevagg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone,
I’m still getting the hang of this, can anyone tell me why you should take your morning glucose before getting out of bed and what happens if you do get up and take it, would it be different even if you don’t eat/drink or is it the actual movement of getting up that makes a difference and in what way ? Very curious about this

Some people find it can make a big difference as it is the liver releasing glucose to give you energy to start the day and allow your organs to function. It is referred to as Dawn Phenomenon or Foot on the Floor Syndrome.
It may not happen with some people in which case it won't matter when you test.
Apparently it is a hang over from our ancestors who used to have to go out and hunt for their first meal of the day, all we need to do now is walk to the fridge but the body doesn't seem to know that.

My glucose this morning was 6.3, I didn’t eat at all and took it again before lunch and it was 7.4 how can it go up when you don’t even eat anything following a lower reading in the morning, it’s so confusing and doesn’t seem to be related to food

My glucose this morning was 6.3, I didn’t eat at all and took it again before lunch and it was 7.4 how can it go up when you don’t even eat anything following a lower reading in the morning, it’s so confusing and doesn’t seem to be related to food
That’s because it isn’t entirely related to food. Your liver has stores of glucose, and trickles out a bit all the time, to keep your brain and vital organs going, even when you’re not eating. The liver produces a bit more in the wee small hours, and then during the morning if you don’t eat, to gear your body up for the day. In a non -Diabetic, insulin would be released to mop up any spare, but if you have diabetes, or pre-diabetes, this may not happen, or the body may not be able to use the insulin efficiently, so you end up with a bit too much glucose in your blood.

But if you don't eat then the liver releases glucose and anyway there is not much difference between your two readings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back