Morning blood sugar levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aneeta55

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
I know this might be a silly question, but does the time you get up have an impact on your blood sugar reading?
In the week , I am up at an earlier time and my readings are in the mid 5s range. At the weekend I generally have a lie in so my first reading may be quite later than those in the week. My readings tend to be in the mid 6s. As a relatively newcomer to this ( diagnosed with prediabetes a couple of months ago), I am still trying to understand it. I use a Gluco Navvi monitor. The last reading I took 2 hours after evening meal last night was good 7.3 so why isn't it low this morning?

Some people get what is referred to as foot on the floor phenomenon, so as soon as they get up and potter about their level can go up as the liver releases glucose to give them energy. Testing in bed may give you similar results day on day as you probably are going slightly different things between the weekdays and weekends. Both those readings look pretty good anyway.

Thank you, I might trying testing in bed tomorrow morning to see if it makes any difference.

The short answer is yes, the time you get up can impact your reading, particularly at this time of year when it gets light early. Basically your liver starts to pump out glucose on a morning to give you energy to start your day. It is believed to be a throw back to prehistoric times when we would need that energy to go out and hunt or gather our first meal of the day. We don't need it to walk into the kitchen and open the fridge so much 🙄. Some people's bodies start to respond in this way as soon as it starts to get light (called Dawn Phenomenon or DP) and others find their body waits until they actually get out of bed (referred to as Foot on the Floor syndrome or FOTF). In your case, if it happens when you get up later it is likely DP, but it can be a combination of both and testing before you get out of bed will usually give you a better idea of what is going on, especially if you then test again at your usual testing time. You can also try a sleep mask to blot out the dawn and see if you can fool your body if it is DP.

The short answer is yes, the time you get up can impact your reading, particularly at this time of year when it gets light early. Basically your liver starts to pump out glucose on a morning to give you energy to start your day. It is believed to be a throw back to prehistoric times when we would need that energy to go out and hunt or gather our first meal of the day. We don't need it to walk into the kitchen and open the fridge so much 🙄. Some people's bodies start to respond in this way as soon as it starts to get light (called Dawn Phenomenon or DP) and others find their body waits until they actually get out of bed (referred to as Foot on the Floor syndrome or FOTF). In your case, if it happens when you get up later it is likely DP, but it can be a combination of both and testing before you get out of bed will usually give you a better idea of what is going on, especially if you then test again at your usual testing time. You can also try a sleep mask to blot out the dawn and see if you can fool your body if it is DP.
We have a blind and also blackout curtains in bedroom so it's dark even though it gets light early. Perhaps it's a combination, so thank you for the advice. I will try your suggestions about testing on bed. I always test after coming downstairs, just before I eat or drink and I might have pottered about a bit as well so it makes sense to do it before activity of any kind.

DP for me seems to be related to time rather than light levels, I don't notice it starting earlier in summer or later in winter.

Have you counted the time between last meal and the morning reading? I always eat at the same at night but find my readings in the morning can vary a lot if i get up at a different time. For example if you always eat at 7pm then you might get different readings if you get up at 7am to what you get if you get up at 11 am

Hi there. Thanks for the details about the liver releasing glucose on a morning . I get very high sugar readings after a very busy 2 hrs at work on a morning. I thought my insulin wasn't working but now I know it's my liver. Great to know, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back