Morning BG Levels - I'm a bit confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deb_l

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
I've been diagnosed T2 since Jan this year, have a BG monitor and have been taking my readings generally in the morning, at some point during the day and before bed. I've always taken the morning reading after walking the dogs but before breakfast and it's fairly consistent anywhere between 7.5 and 9.0. It was over 13 when I was first diagnosed.

This morning however, I thought I would mix it up a bit and took my BG level as soon as I got up and it was 6.7. Hurrah I thought, this is good but then I took it again, just for comparison, at my normal time after walking the dogs and before breakfast and it was 8.6.

Sooooo, after all that waffling, what causes such a difference? Is it the exercise? Or the general stress of walking 3 stupid dogs or is there a more physiological explanation?

Ta

Deb

It is likely to be your liver "helping out".

We call it Foot on the Floor. When we get up, our body notices and to help us get energy to start the day, our liver dumps a load of sugar into our blood. For some people this happens before we wake (it is usually called Dawn Phenomenon) and others it is when we get up.
This happens to most people but those without diabetes don't notice because their pancreas efficiently and effectively produces insulin to use that liver dump.

I've been diagnosed T2 since Jan this year, have a BG monitor and have been taking my readings generally in the morning, at some point during the day and before bed. I've always taken the morning reading after walking the dogs but before breakfast and it's fairly consistent anywhere between 7.5 and 9.0. It was over 13 when I was first diagnosed.

This morning however, I thought I would mix it up a bit and took my BG level as soon as I got up and it was 6.7. Hurrah I thought, this is good but then I took it again, just for comparison, at my normal time after walking the dogs and before breakfast and it was 8.6.

Sooooo, after all that waffling, what causes such a difference? Is it the exercise? Or the general stress of walking 3 stupid dogs or is there a more physiological explanation?

Ta

Deb
Exercise and stress both cause blood sugar levels to rise.

Ta

Deb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back