More than 5 units up front

Status
Not open for further replies.

tracey w

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
:confused:

Can anyone tell me why i was told never to give more than 5 units up front? I was told this by pump nurse and rep from roche.

For instance just dual waved for fish and chips, needed 19 units. Wanted to do 50/50 as i usually go quite high on 30/70 etc. But was worried to give 9.5 units up front.

But i cant remember why i was told this. Normally dont need to give more than 5 or 6 initially but has been bugging me lately. Sometimes i do extended doses for large amounts, but for this type of meal i need to dual wave.

Hi Tracey, that does seem odd! It would also depend on your ratios wouldnt it? We have never been given a limit of how much to do up front and Alex is a child so i would have thought they would have told us. Perhaps Adrienne could tell us if she sees this!🙂Bev

Hi Tracey, that does seem odd! It would also depend on your ratios wouldnt it? We have never been given a limit of how much to do up front and Alex is a child so i would have thought they would have told us. Perhaps Adrienne could tell us if she sees this!🙂Bev

hmm, just something that stuck in my mind when i got my pump. obviously there was a lot of info to take in. I couldnt understand it as ive often given much larger amounts than that up front.

I know i havent dreamt it as the dsn watched me eat a sandwich whilst i did my first dose and she said it was ok to give 4 units (which is what i was giving), as if it was over 5 i would have to do extended.

So basically you are saying you dont do this? I think i will scrap this idea then. I know i should ask my dsn but ive had no contact with her since my first week pumping and am pretty sure she would say the same thing!

I wasn't told this either, and I quite regularly inject more that five units up front. The only thing I can think of is that it can sometimes sting a little if you inject a lot up front? I know that if I'm doing more that ten units I usually do a small extended bolus for that reason. 🙂

To be honest, i dont think of how much insulin is going in - i just do the carbs and the dual waves etc and dont give it much thought about the total amount. Alex has had pizza and a pudding before that came to something like 150 carbs and we did a dual wave of 60/40. His ratio is 1/16 so that means he has had 5.62 up front and we havent noticed a problem with it. It might be worth asking though as i may be wrong - or perhaps its the different pumps?🙂Bev

Maybe this was just to begin with. What was she expecting you do to then. 5 units is not that much for an adult really. I have given Jessica 9 odd units before, which is a lot for her but if she eats that much I give it.

🙂

I went onto my pump about five weeks ago and the DSN advised me not to bolus more than 8 units in one go as having more than this going in at any one time can affect absorption.
If my required bolus was more than 8 units ,she advised to either deliver 8 units initially followed by the remainder 30 mins later. If the required bolus was more than 16 units she advised to deliver 8 units, wait 30 mins then deliver another 8 units, wait a further 30 mins then deliver the remainder.
The alternative is to use the dual wave to do the same thing or use multiwave to deliver the first 8 units immediately followed by the remainder ober the next hour or two depending on the size of the dose.

I went onto my pump about five weeks ago and the DSN advised me not to bolus more than 8 units in one go as having more than this going in at any one time can affect absorption.
If my required bolus was more than 8 units ,she advised to either deliver 8 units initially followed by the remainder 30 mins later. If the required bolus was more than 16 units she advised to deliver 8 units, wait 30 mins then deliver another 8 units, wait a further 30 mins then deliver the remainder.
The alternative is to use the dual wave to do the same thing or use multiwave to deliver the first 8 units immediately followed by the remainder ober the next hour or two depending on the size of the dose.

Thats the only thing i can think of , that it might affect the absorbtion for some reason. But like Adrienne says 5 units is not much initially for an adult, I regularly need more than this. Am going to give whatever is required up front from now on and see how that goes.

thanks for replies guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back