More money needed to stop diabetes deaths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
More funding is needed to stop people dying of diabetes in the Channel Islands, say doctors.

Currently, two islanders die each week of the disease, but doctors say unless more money is allocated for diabetes health care, that death rate will increase to one Islander dying each DAY.

Natasha Le Breton has Type Two diabetes - a condition linked to unhealthy lifestyles and obesity.

It used to be a disease of the over 50s, but it is becoming increasingly common in younger people.

Natasha said: "I was a bit overweight and family history as well, my gran had diabetes and my aunty's got it now, and it's basically not looking after myself.

http://www.channelonline.tv/channelonline_jerseynews/displayarticle.asp?id=497553

We had a lady from the CI on the other forum I infest. Of course they aren't in the NHS so doctors and drugs all have to be paid for. They didn't appear to have a diabetes expert at Jersey hospital (which is where you get sent to off any of the other islands if you need anything more than a GP) it seemed and the person the lady got referred to re diabetes, was apparently also her Mental Health expert.

All seemed very very disorganised. Or maybe it was just the way she told it?

Have also heard 'tales told' about the Isle of Man .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back