More insulin and less food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akasha

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Yet every day this week after dinner my bloods have shot up to 17's through to 19's. 😡
I dont understand. I used to do between 3 and 5 for lunch. now im doing up to nine and going up and up!

Yet every day this week after dinner my bloods have shot up to 17's through to 19's. 😡
I dont understand. I used to do between 3 and 5 for lunch. now im doing up to nine and going up and up!

Sounds like you have a virus of some sort, you are obviously following your normal routine. Are your injection sites ok? I had to change from stomach to thigh about 9 months ago. Maybe change your insulin cartridge, failing that keep testing for patterns.

I'd agree with Phil, sounds like possibly the insulin isn't working for some reason - I'd try a different site with a new cartridge.

after posting earlier i gave myself 3.5 units, from new pen, in my arm.
Ate a packet of crisps as dont like injecting with no food.
Normally have .5 unit for 10g carb, and 1 unit to bring me down bu 3.5 mmol correction.
17.5 carbs in crisps - roughly 1 unit.
2.5 should bring me down by 8.75.
I have gone from 17.something to 15.6
😡

Phil
There isn't much pattern.

Tuesday. Lunch was a brown cob and packet of rice cakes. 12.6 pre food.
17. something 3 hours later. 3 unit correction, + i digestive biccie.
3.3 when got home.

Wednesday. Lunch brown cob with walkers crisps. 11.2 pre food.
17.something 2 1/2 hours later. 2.5 correction + 1 digestive biccie.
10.8 when i got home.

:confused:

Strange that you are going so high 2-3 hours after injecting especially as you are carb counting!! 😱 Maybe not enough basal? It's a mystery....do you feel well other than maybe tiredness? I have just raised my insulin/carb ratio I take 2 units for 10 g carbs but have added a few units, I seem to run higher when the weather is colder.

I'd agree with Phil65. If you're not coming down with something it sounds like your basal might have changed. Always makes my bolus and/or correction doses behave far less reliably. And the higher my levels are the less effect each individual unit seems to have.

Hope you find a solution soon.
M

Faulty insulin cartridge more likely here Akasha, try changing it and see if this helps matters.

I have swapped to my other cartridge, and am currently injecting all insulin in my arm.

I am on 15u of Lantus, which i take at 11.15am. and after tests and CGM (x2) this is the better amount, and best time as it was dropping me low during the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back