More and more appear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akasha

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Ive just come out of the toilets at work, To find one of the women from another department starting a queue ( 😛 ) holding an orange Nova rapid pen.

I think im gonna start conversations with new people 'So, Are ya diabetic?'

After I had been diagnosed I discovered that someone I had worked closely with for 7 years was Type 1 for 15 years! Mind you, he's one of those people who chooses not to talk about it and injects privately, so it's not that surprising I didn't know.

There are 4 type ones at my work, and there are less than 200 staff. It is really handy for when you run out of insulin or forget your test kit.

As I am the one who is most office based the others have all told their collegues to get me if they have a hypo.

Ive just come out of the toilets at work, To find one of the women from another department starting a queue ( 😛 ) holding an orange Nova rapid pen.

I think im gonna start conversations with new people 'So, Are ya
diabetic?'

Why would anyone want to inject in a toilet!!!😱😱

Surely your work place could provide a room so that it can be done in a clean environment ?

How many on here actually have to inject in the toilet? :(

I had a parent meeting at work on monday, its just when u talk to the parent about how thier child is progressing. i had to explain to her why i had not done an observation on her child for the month of february, so said i was off ill for 3 weeks and she asked why and when i said i was now diabetic she replied...."Snap" has been for 4 years sort of made me feel like im not alone, we spent most of the meeting talking about D not her son lol

When I went to my optician for an eye-check I was telling her that I was now diabetic and she said she had been Type 1 for 17 years. They're everywhere! 🙂

Why would anyone want to inject in a toilet!!!😱😱

Surely your work place could provide a room so that it can be done in a clean environment ?

How many on here actually have to inject in the toilet? :(

she might not have been injecting - she might have been putting it into her bag or something.

When I was diagnosed two more people I worked with were also diagnosed with type 2.. not literally all at the same time but within about 2 years.

I knew of 3 when i was diagnosed, and 2 of theose were family 😛

Although, i was at a pub once with other half (both Diabetic) and a member of staff came round calling loudly 'has anyone lost a diabetic testing kit?'
Neither of us had.

I dont know about an injecting room, tbh IrisDove. I usually do mine sat at my desk. I've never been felt pushed to do it in a secluded corner somewhere.

One lady from another dept came up once as i was injecting and she was like 'whaaat you doin? 😱' so i said diabetic and she said, 'ahh so's my dad'

Since I was diagnosed I have found out at least three people in my office and a couple of other people on the same floor are diabetic, but I am the only one who wants to talk about it.

just got a facebook message from my school friend who i have not seen or spoken to in about 3 years! she got diagnosed last week......:(

just got a facebook message from my school friend who i have not seen or spoken to in about 3 years! she got diagnosed last week......:(

Direct her here! the more the merrier! :D

On a serious note, i hope she is coping ok. and yourself.

lol i have done! waitin for a msg back and yes i am ok thanku apart from major money issues but im not goin into that again....🙂

I've recently started going to an evening class (watercolour painting) and just found out that 2 other members are diabetic - one type 1 (pumping and loves it) and the other type 2. This all came out when some mints were handed round and someone said - 'Roy can't have those - he's diabetic'! Roy DID have one and so did I - we all tried to explain that diabetics CAN have the odd sweet (or anything else for that matter) and that it's all about moderation and management. Not too sure the message got through though

I work in the same hospital that I'm treated in. Several ladies in the lab are type twos. My nurse however, is type one. All I have to do to go and see him is walk out of the back door of my lab and wander the fifty meters to the diabetes centre. Nice!

Went to sainsburys today to get some lunch stuff for the week, this included bread so went to the bakery bit (where i used to work) and saw my old collegue who is also a type one diabetic. i asked him what bread he eats that doesnt spike him and started to look at some. then this older man turned round and said what do you mean spike? i just told him it was a diabetic term and he replied with..."im a type one diabetic too"

So there we were, 3 diabetics down the bread aisle having a debate about what bread to eat lol :D

Matts boss is diabetic - but they don't know if its T1 or T2 :confused: apparently he's on loads of metformin and still getting highs.

And Matt was saying they had a long chat in the office about me too - boss man wanted to know if I had a lot of highs and matt was like "nah, she has loads of hypos and is going to get an insulin pump", which boss man thought was awesome :D

As soon as I told my boss I had been diagnosed with diabetes he said one of our directors was also diabetic so I went in and talked to him and he has been brilliant. Told me so much, what to expect etc. He brought in some health books he had been given by his PCT and along with this forum, he helped me through the first few weeks. I asked him about testing and he showed me the kit and even did a test there and then to show how simple it was. Told me to ask the nurse if she had been given any free samples of meters.

Not too sure if there are any more at work but there probably is. Think there are just the two of us in our department. It helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back