Mood swings

Status
Not open for further replies.

6pac

I’ve suffered with depression since being a teenager but I’ve recently noticed that my moods can change within minutes. Usually depression would creep up slowly without me realising but now it can happen in an instant. I was diagnosed with diabetes about a month ago and wondered if there could be a link. I also find myself needing to sleep at odd times, usually after a meal.
Does anybody else have symptoms like this?

High blood glucose will give you symptoms of tiredness, thirst, frequent loo visits and can also affect mood as those high levels of glucose have an effect on all the cells of the body including the brain.
Paying attention to your diet, reducing carbohydrates will help.
Have you been prescribed any medication as that would be usual with the high HbA1C. The cholesterol level you post looks to be very high at 17.1mmol/l so I would be surprise if you have not been given medication for that or some further test to see why it is so high, anything over 4 is considered high if diabetic.
There are many things you can do to improve your situation, most importantly looking at your dietary intake of high carbohydrate foods like potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, breakfast cereals as well as the obvious cakes, biscuits and sugary drinks.

There’s some good articles on diabetes and depression, it’s a hard diagnosis to take in.
I am t2 and get awful depression and mood swings if my sugars get too high and also get sleep if sugars are too high. Diabetes takes time to understand and earn to I’ve with so one month in I believe it’s natural to feel overwhelmed or down or anxious or all three but give yourself credit for coming here and talking it’s a very positive step!

Wow thanks for the quick replies and advice.
I’ve had the high cholesterol since birth and I’ve been taking high levels of medication for over 15 years. (It’s obviously not working very well judging from my levels)
I’ve never had any noticeable side effects from the meds, it’s only recently I’ve noticed a difference in mood and fatigue.
It’s interesting you mention high
Carbs having an effect on mental wellbeing as I had a higher intake than usual today.
I’ll keep a diary and see if I can establish a link. Thanks again for your replies, I appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge and insight.

Ps
I’m taking metformin if it’s relevant

Ps
I’m taking metformin if it’s relevant
Metformin will only help your body use tthe insulin it produces more effectively but diet will be equally if not more important. Many find that a low carb approach successful and that is less than 130g total carbs per day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back