Monitoring glucose level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paschal

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi. Not sure if I am reposting. Excuse me if I am. Recently joined and getting the hang of things. Can I ask about the glucose monitor readings? Two weeks ago, at my doctor's, I had a reading of 7. I self tested a week later: 5. Just tested today and I am 7.1. Is that particularly high? How come there is such disparity in the results. On a low dose of Metformin; hate the stuff. I'm fit, with a good weight and have reduced carbs and cut out sugar...for the most part. It's disheartening to see numbers yo-yo. Any deas? Thank you.

Is that particularly high?
No.

Single tests are largely meaningless & cn vary widely between fasting & the period after eating. The best use of a meeter for a T2 is to test before meals where ideally you want to be between 4 & 7. Then two hours later you should be under 8.5 & not more than 2-3 mmol higher than pre-meal. If you hit those targets the meal is well suited & if not, it needs modifying.

After a while you should have a fairly comprehensive set of data around what you can tolerate. You then really only need to test for new foods or if feeling off.

Hi. Not sure if I am reposting. Excuse me 4if I am. Recently joined and getting the hang of things. Can I ask about the glucose monitor readings? Two weeks ago, at my doctor's, I had a reading of 7. I self tested a week later: 5. Just tested today and I am 7.1. Is that particularly high? How come there is such disparity in the results. On a low dose of Metformin; hate the stuff. I'm fit, with a good weight and have reduced carbs and cut out sugar...for the most part. It's disheartening to see numbers yo-yo. Any deas? Thank you.

You say you hate metformin? Is it the idea of medication or are you having side effects? If it’s the latter then there’s a few things to be aware of. Introducing it slowly and if required increasing the dose over a period of time helps adjust. Taking it with food can lessen side effects. There are slow release versions available if it hasn’t settle within a couple of weeks that sometimes work better. Do not suffer in silence. Go back to the dr as “digestive” effects are very common. Also over time it can lower vitamin b12 so ask for a baseline test and at least annual checks.

However if you adjust your diet suitably you may not need it at all. Drs tend to assume people won’t make or stick to those adjustments and medicate regardless. You know yourself better as to if this applies or doesn’t. For those that are motivated enough to find their way here and go get a meter it may very well not be the case for you. Also different drs will start medications at different points. Their guidance is to try diet and lifestyle alone first if the initial hba1c wasn’t too high. Often with a 3 month “trial”. Do you know what your’s was? Typically anything around under mid 50’s is done this way, sometimes much higher if you demonstrate understanding and motivation of what’s required. Ultimately it’s your choice after receiving their advice.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. That's a good rule of thumb regarding pre and post eating numbers. I'll keep it in mind. I hate testing myself and keep thinking that, provided I reduce carbs and cut out sugar, it will be a self-limiting disease. Thanks again.

You say you hate metformin? Is it the idea of medication or are you having side effects? If it’s the latter then there’s a few things to be aware of. Introducing it slowly and if required increasing the dose over a period of time helps adjust. Taking it with food can lessen side effects. There are slow release versions available if it hasn’t settle within a couple of weeks that sometimes work better. Do not suffer in silence. Go back to the dr as “digestive” effects are very common. Also over time it can lower vitamin b12 so ask for a baseline test and at least annual checks.

However if you adjust your diet suitably you may not need it at all. Drs tend to assume people won’t make or stick to those adjustments and medicate regardless. You know yourself better as to if this applies or doesn’t. For those that are motivated enough to find their way here and go get a meter it may very well not be the case for you. Also different drs will start medications at different points. Their guidance is to try diet and lifestyle alone first if the initial hba1c wasn’t too high. Often with a 3 month “trial”. Do you know what your’s was? Typically anything around under mid 50’s is done this way, sometimes much higher if you demonstrate understanding and motivation of what’s required. Ultimately it’s your choice after receiving their advice.

Hi. Thank you for the reply. All very valid points. I'm on Metformin because I had a heart issue 6 years ago and my GP says I'm more susceptible to complications from T2D. My blood result was 52 and he put me on medication straight away. I'm really trying my best to eat well, even though my diet was never really bad...except for having a really sweet tooth! I have made changes and will continue to do so. I'm fit and have a healthy weight...but it doesn't seem to have done me much good! The Metformin is making me lightheaded and spaced out. I'll bear with it and hopefully the side effects will calm down. Thanks again for your reply. Wishing you good health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back