Monitoring Advice Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppy460

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Good Evening,
I was diagnosed with type 2 in 2016. I am now hovering around 54 to 56, my target is 48. I have been thinking of getting a monitor which I can use with my phone, but am not sure whether this will help or what sort to get. Has anyone got any
suggestions?
Thank you

Good Evening,
I was diagnosed with type 2 in 2016. I am now hovering around 54 to 56, my target is 48. I have been thinking of getting a monitor which I can use with my phone, but am not sure whether this will help or what sort to get. Has anyone got any
suggestions?
Thank you
Surprising that you have not got a monitor before this or are you meaning something like a Libre which involves inserting a sensor into your arm which you can scan on your phone, expensive at £40 per sensor which lasts 2 weeks.
Many do use just a basic monitor to take finger prick readings some (the more expensive ones ) will upload the readings into an app I think. It is the cost of the strips which is important rather than the cost of the monitor.
Many find a monitor invaluable in managing their blood glucose as it allows them to modify their diet to reduce their HbA1C by testing foods and meals.

Libre which involves inserting a sensor into your arm which you can scan on your phone, expensive at £40 per sensor which lasts 2 weeks.
Worse than that, £48.29 in the Abbot store

There is the free 14 day (ie one sensor) Freestyle Libre trial which you could take advantage of, but I would certainly recommend that you also get a Blood Glucose meter where you finger prick to obtain a drop of blood which is applied to a test strip in the meter. These meters are generally a bit more reliable than the arm sensors and will give you a bit of background understanding of test results before you use a free Libre sensor, but I would apply for a sensor now as no one knows how long the free trial will continue.
The Dexcom system is a little more complex because it comprises a sensor and a separate transmitter which have very different lifespans. As a result, I don't think you can buy them on a one off basis and it is more a subscription system where you are committed to 3 months worth as that is how long the transmitter works.

You can learn a lot from finger pricking and my advice would be to do that for a month and then use your free 14 day Libre sensor to fine tune things, once you have got the general principles and understanding from using a meter.

Oh and do be aware, using sensors can be quite addictive.... which is probably why they do the free trial to get people hooked!

The dexcom g6
There is the free 14 day (ie one sensor) Freestyle Libre trial which you could take advantage of, but I would certainly recommend that you also get a Blood Glucose meter where you finger prick to obtain a drop of blood which is applied to a test strip in the meter. These meters are generally a bit more reliable than the arm sensors and will give you a bit of background understanding of test results before you use a free Libre sensor, but I would apply for a sensor now as no one knows how long the free trial will continue.
The Dexcom system is a little more complex because it comprises a sensor and a separate transmitter which have very different lifespans. As a result, I don't think you can buy them on a one off basis and it is more a subscription system where you are committed to 3 months worth as that is how long the transmitter works.

You can learn a lot from finger pricking and my advice would be to do that for a month and then use your free 14 day Libre sensor to fine tune things, once you have got the general principles and understanding from using a meter.
You can but a month of dexcom g6, but its more expensive than libre, and probably over egging the pudding...it only works on a small list of phones so if you haven't got one of those you have to get into 'hacked' versions of the app, and whilst i love my g6, its perhaps not the ideal starter sensor. If hypos aren't a concern i'd say go for libre

the scanner reader which comes with the Libre also doubles as a finger prick BG monitor so why by 2 separate things the starter Kit from memory is approx £150 inc 1 sensor.

why buy 2 separate things the starter Kit from memory is approx £150 inc 1 sensor.
Be aware, the test strips to use with the Libre reader are expensive.
If money is an issue, I would recommend an alternative finger prick meter and using a phone to scan the sensors (assuming you already have a smart phone).

the scanner reader which comes with the Libre also doubles as a finger prick BG monitor so why by 2 separate things the starter Kit from memory is approx £150 inc 1 sensor.
1 sensor individually is £48.29 so paying £150 sounds a complete rip off

I pay about £12 Ffor 50 strips for the libre reader, off Amazon. They are not the most expensive tests strips. I have had meters were the strips were nearer £25.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back