Molecule link to diabetic kidney disease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Edinburgh scientists have identified a key molecule linked to kidney disease in people with diabetes.

Blocking the protein prevents kidney damage associated with diabetes in rats and mice, the study also found.

Edinburgh University scientists said the findings could lead to new therapies.

Diabetes results in high levels of blood sugar and affects 415 million people globally. It is the leading cause of kidney failure.

About 40% of people with diabetes eventually develop kidney disease.

The protein, called P2X7R, plays an important role in inflammation and the immune system and has previously been linked to kidney diseases not associated with diabetes.

This is the first time it has been shown to cause diabetic kidney disease.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-39642235

I didn't realise it was 40% who went on to develop kidney disease. That's a sobering thought....

I didn't realise it was 40% who went on to develop kidney disease. That's a sobering thought....
I suppose when you consider that 80% of the spending goes on treating complications rather than preventing them, it's maybe not so hard to believe :(

Hang on a sec. If this protein is associated with kidney disease in non Ds, is it any surprise it is associated with kidney disease in people with diabetes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back