MODY queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmmaL76

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Morning all, just wondered if there is anyone out there who has been through the MODY testing process? I’m at Nottingham hospital on Tuesday for mine, does anybody know how long this process takes and when to expect results? Also if positive for a strain of MODY are offspring automatically offered testing ? Personally I don’t think I have MODY… but just on the off chance was wondering what to expect. I know it’s quite rare so not expecting much in the way of response, obviously I will ask these questions on Tuesday but I have an impatient brain and wondered if any others had experience

Because MODY is due to a genetic abnormality, and a Dominant one, you find other family members who have it. It’s very rare to find it as a single event. But that’s why offspring are offered tests. If they are looking for the gene that’s abnormal in this condition, it could take a few weeks to get the result.

It’s only 3% of folk with diabetes T1 or T2 who have MODY, so it’s rare. Do you have a strong family history of diabetes? That would for sure alert them for testing.

Nope, maternal uncle type 1 at age 50, apart form that nothing. That’s why I say I don’t think this is me. Thanks for reply x

My gp suspects I'm MODY but due to cost won't get me tested. I'm treated as a type 2.

Hi, 2 separate consultants have now said it the only thing that makes sense for me. The last consultant was private. I paid 140 for consultations and he pushed through all the tests on the nhs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back