Mobile phones cause blood pressure to rise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Researchers found talking on a mobile triggers significant increases in systolic blood pressure that corresponds to the ?surge? that occurs with each heartbeat.

This is the higher number in a reading which doctors pay most attention to when assessing a patient?s risk of cardiovascular disease.

The researchers took 12 blood pressure readings at one-minute intervals from 94 patients with mild hypertension.

The participants, whose average age was 53, were seated in a comfortable armchair in a doctor?s consulting room and left alone after the first blood pressure reading was taken using an automatic device.

Researchers phoned the patients at least three times and found that when the patient was on the phone or receiving a call, their blood pressure reading rose from an average of 121/77 on average to 129/82.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/10062085/Mobile-phones-cause-blood-pressure-to-rise.html

I have serious worries about this research: the article says: Researchers phoned the patients at least three times and found that when the patient was on the phone or receiving a call, their blood pressure reading rose from an average of 121/77 on average to 129/82.

and yet the conclusion was: The research, presented to the American Society of Hypertension conference in San Francisco, found that the phone calls did not increase the heart rate, nor the diastolic blood pressure - the lower number in the reading, which measures the force of blood in the arteries when the heart relaxes between beats.

Since when does a change from 77 to 82 become no increase but 121 to 129 does?

Mind you every time I get a phonecall from my GP my blood pressure rises:D

I agree Vic, I'd probably expect such a rise (if not greater) if receiving a phone call, be it a mobile or landline - hardly huge is it? I suppose it's an average, so maybe some people had a much bigger jump. But why does it prove it's mobiles at fault? Did they try landlines as well? How does it compare to other activities? Sooooo tenuous! 🙄

I bet their blood pressure rose every time the researchers called because est subjects got stressed by that particular call. It would be more to the point to have test subjects wear a cuff and record the results of every call received over a given period. I bet the record would show only certain calls got the reaction.

What a load of !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back