Moan!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gemma444

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Just gone to open a new box of ketone strips for J that we got from our pharmacy on 23.12.09. I tried to callibrate and got E-6 on the meter, so I looking through the meter instruction book and it says to check the date on the strips. 07/2009. That date is even before J's diagnosis!!!! To top it off our pharmacy closed at 2pm!!!!!!

Just wanted a moan lol

gem

And very right to moan too! I'm sure RachelT would have something to say about a phramacy issuing out of date items! And potentially life-saving ones like ketone strips. Is there another pharmacy you could get some from, or perhaps some urine strips (ketostix - I think most places sell them for about ?5)

Hope you give them a real rocket next time you're in!😱

Sure, pharmacy shouldn't have issued out of date items, but I bet they still work, as long as they've been stored correctly, which I would hope to be the case in a pharmacy stock room. However, if you don't need to use the strips before the pharmacy which dispensed them opens, probably best to take them back (unopened) when you can and get replacements.
To be fair, conditions regarding deliveries etc are not easy at present - when collecting my supplies this morning, the technician was sorting out the remainder of someone else's prescription - they didn't have the full course of 21 tablets of antibiotics, so had dispensed 15 tablets on Wednesday and were sharing out what supplies they had. The pharmacist gave me all I'd asked for when I dropped in repeat form on Tuesday, but had only had a faxed prescription from GP, as delivery driver hadn't go through to GP surgery, so they'd done the best in the situation, which resulted in good service to me and more hassle for them, for which I was very grateful.

You have every right to moan. The strips MIGHT work, but I wouldn't want to take the risk. If you can get some more form somewhere else do so and then go back to the original pharmacy and kick up a stink. If they are a chain (like Lloyds or Neam Tree) write to their head office too.

...To be fair, conditions regarding deliveries etc are not easy at present...

My pharmacy couldn't even get stuff long before the bad weather, so I'm not looking forward to my next prescription! As for Gemma's pharmacy, those strips expired 5 months before they were given out - they shouldn't even have been in the pharmacy. And if they hadn't worked properly, falsely showing no ketones when they were high the consequences could have been awful. If it were me, I'd write a letter of complaint to the manager.

Thanks for your replys. They do not work I have tried a few times. Lucky Northerner reminded me (thanks northerner) about ketosix and I have a tube of those so used them. I think its telling me negitive anyway. I will get J to do it again in a bit.

gem x

You have every right to moan. The strips MIGHT work, but I wouldn't want to take the risk. If you can get some more form somewhere else do so and then go back to the original pharmacy and kick up a stink. If they are a chain (like Lloyds or Neam Tree) write to their head office too.

Hi Caroline

The pharmacy isn't a chain but i will still be speaking to them Monday about it.

Thanks

Slap on the wrist time!

You're right Northy😉

Seriously, i'd get in BIG trouble for that. I'm kind of suprised that your sticks don't work even after the use by date, usually the use by date is put on drugs and medical items to avoid microbial contamination or because some chemicals become unstable after exposure to the light, atmosphere or moisture for too long. I'd guess urine test strips biggest problem would be moisture, but honestly, i dunno what's in them. I'd have assumed that they had a long shelf, i don't recall ever seeing an out of date box.
Take the box back and complain, whoever performed the final check on your prescription made a serious error and had the pateint suffered at all because the strips were unusable or gave the wrong reading, then they could be proscecuted. Hopefully there's no harm done and there's just a slap on the wrist to be had.

Rachel

You should get a replacement on Monday and an apology. I'm sure you could get them to work if needed in an emergency.

I have tried using ketone strips which were out of date too, and the machine just won't let you use them, it just comes up with an error message when you put the calibration strip in. I found this really annoying surely a slightly out of date strip is better than no strip at all.

Hi Gem

We had this annoyingly before as well. 3 boxes were out of date, i hadn't checked the BBE when i picked them up from the pharmacy as i just presumed they would be ok (as with all the other meds for Rose,) when i went to use them they just came up error. The pharmacist was very apologetic when i phoned him.

It is very annoying and you rant away x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back